Installing Headers & Cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Headers & Cam

Stats 2002 Firehawk. LS1. M-6. Pretty much stock hp wise.

Got bored with the hp of the hawk, and the 100's of upper 13's runs in the 1/4 so I decided to finally mod the hawk

Kooks SS LT headers w/ cats - Airborn coated (Don't wanna bake wires - Thanks Injuneer? )
    Powerbond underdrive pully & belt
    Custom Cam (6800 rpm limit)
    hardend rods.
    LS2 timing chain
    Comp 918 springs
    LS6 oil pump
    Corvette 02's
    -Deleting PVC system. Only way to stop my oil consumption.

With this cam & headers only combo in a stripped Camaro SS It went 11.7 (auto). Considering my hawk is heavy ~3630 #'s. The setup should be capable of mid to low 12's for my weight.

I'm having the setup tuned for the street and not high Dyno #'s (Dyno #'s do not include real world road load resistance) as I see majority of my time on the street. Usually get better times this way anyways and prevents breakage. Should be ~370 rwhp +/- 10 hp or so . Also it helps to have buds with all the proper tools,keys to a dyno shop and whom have 1000's of hours logged using LS1 edit

No runs in the 1/4 until the stock rear is ditched (130 miles and 2.5 hour drive to nearest strip).

This is stage 1 of 3

Stage 2 is clutch and backwards

Headers should be in next week so I can possibly get this done before the snow hits.
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

Sounds like some good first mods. Care to share the cam specs?

Just an FYI. Dyno loading is used to simulate the loading of the powertrain in order to correctly tune the car. Tuners will apply load until they think they have achieved maximum cylinder pressure and can then correctly tune in OL and CL. Loading is not used to get accurate or street-like numbers. Whether or not a dyno is set to provide loading does not does not affect the RWHP numbers. In fact the Eddy Current Load Unit knows exactly how much load absorbtion is being applied and compensates accordingly for the RWHP and RWTQ numbers.

Comment

Good info thanks

what I meant was I wasn't going for peak dyno # for the sake of "peak dyno numbers". My tuner usually goes more for mid-range power and best overall tune for the driver's style on the street with longevity of parts in mind. It just happens that his tunes are based on the 1/4 mile results of many people over time v.s. the dyno only approach - guess I'm saying he's learned from what's worked and what's didn't

It usually ends up the dyno graph #'s will be lower than if he tuned it for max dyno #'s. When the driver would take it to the track, the 1/4 times were always better than if the car was tuned only for peak numbers.

I guess it's good to be buds with one of New Englands best LSX tuners (he's getting the LS2 tuning next month )

cam is a 224/224 based cam 112 lsa - similar to Thunder Racing 224/224 cam - but more agressive... now was it .567 or .574 (Don't have exact specs in front of me)
      Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
      Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
      pics and info

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red
        Good info thanks

what I meant was I wasn't going for peak dyno # for the sake of "peak dyno numbers". My tuner usually goes more for mid-range power and best overall tune for the driver's style on the street with longevity of parts in mind. It just happens that his tunes are based on the 1/4 mile results of many people over time v.s. the dyno only approach - guess I'm saying he's learned from what's worked and what's didn't

It usually ends up the dyno graph #'s will be lower than if he tuned it for max dyno #'s. When the driver would take it to the track, the 1/4 times were always better than if the car was tuned only for peak numbers.

I guess it's good to be buds with one of New Englands best LSX tuners (he's getting the LS2 tuning next month )

cam is a 224/224 based cam 112 lsa - similar to Thunder Racing 224/224 cam - but more agressive... now was it .567 or .574 (Don't have exact specs in front of me)
        That's good. Sounds like he is an experienced tuner. Always better to focus on the power under the curve rather than peak numbers. The under the curve numbers, like you say, are where the meat and potatoes are.

That's a prety mild cam, I guess you want a very smooth idle? The 112 LSA will give a tad of a lope, but that cam will behave muck like stock once it's tuned....except you will have more "meat and potatoes" in a higher RPM range.

Comment

Working...
        X