94 TA not running to its full

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 TA not running to its full

hello, i have a 94 ta and it doesn't feel like its running to its full potential. Oil pressure is always ar 20 but when i rev it it goes up to 40 -45 leaking oil from above the transmission drips down the bell housing... Where is it coming from? 113,000 miles on car and engine car has a stage 2 clutch in it i gave the car a tune up and still has problem. When i got to burn out 1st gear my foot goes off the clutch totally and my other foot is stepping on the gas ans car still does not take off more of a slow increase . can you guys help me out thank you ...Pete
    94 Formula

Go to the passenger side of the engine, take a paper towel and reach behind the engine where the intake manifold, head and block come together. Wipe, and see if you pick up a lot of sludge. Very common place for an oil leak. There is no gasket between the intake manifold and the block, just a bead of RTV that dries out and leaks.

If that's where it is, fix the leak, then start working on the basics.....
    -how old are the plug, wires, coil and IC Module?
    -has the distributor ever been replaced?
    -have you done a compression and leakdown test?
    -have the injectors ever been cleaned?
    -ever had it scanned for codes, and to examine the operation of all the sensors, and other PCM parameters?
    -any leaks in the intake elbow between the MAF sensor and the throttle body?
    -EGR system functioning correctly
    -any evidence of knock retard (scan will show this)?
    -checked all the vacuum lines for cracks and leaks?
    -air filter and fuel filter clean?
    -PCV valve working?
    -any evidence of oil in the top of the throttle body or leaking from the valve covers?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

hey i cann't see behind the enginbe too too tight and i was thinking maby it could be a bad lifter?
      94 Formula

Comment

You don't have to "see"..... you just have to reach back there with a paper towel in your hand and wipe it.

Can't think of any way a "bad lifter" would cause an oil leak... they are buried deep in the engine.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

nooo

no not the lifter causing an oil leak that's impossible i mean a bad lifter could be the reason for low oil pressure. thats what i meant
          94 Formula

Comment

Mine idles at ~20 psi oil pressure, I don't believe that's an indication of a problem. Do a search through this forum and others and you'll see how many people have LT1s that idle at ~20 PSI oil pressure with a perfectly normal motor.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The GM specs for the engine require 6 psi oil pressure at idle. 20psi is fine for an engine with a few miles. The important thing is that the pressure increases with RPM, maintaining roughly 10psi/1000RPM..... so if you have 50psi at 5,000RPM you are fine.

What oil are you using?
              Fred

Comment

Working...
              X