Another One Bites The Dust......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another One Bites The Dust......

After 45K Miles, my water pump is once again leaking coolant from the pressure release hole on the bottom. But must the Whole Water pump be replaced to fix this problem? What other alternatives do I have? Is witching over to an Electric Water pump an alternative? Would an Electric Water pump outlast the original water pump?
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Several problems with electric conversions. They flow a specific output regardless of engine RPM.... not the ticket for extended higher RPMs. Increased load on the electrical system and if it quits, you most often don't realize it until too late. Some guys have wired in an idiot light that lets them know if the pump is on or off. That works if you notice the light. In general, they don't last as long as a mechanical pump in daily driving conditions. They do free up a few crank HP, but some is given right back by the load on the alternator. For a race car, go electric. If you are mainly a street commuter, stay with stock. Just my .02¢

Comment

Thanks Joe!

So I absolutely have to replace the entire pump? I cant buy the seal/bearings and "Rebuild it?"
      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone repairing a water pump...just replacing it. Might be a good idea to do some work on the opti while you're at it.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Yeah, I figured if Im taking the water pump off, I might as well change the opti (85 K Miles). And if the opti's off, I might as well swap the cam for a Hot Cam Kit right? Im going to take Joes advice and replace it with an original one. Thanks Again.......

Comment

And while your at it...

if you are going to do the cam, might as well pull the whole engine. Put in a 4-bolt 396, add forged internals...ooo, ooo, lower the compression so the 18# of boost coming from the ATI is happy... uh, wait, sorry....got ahead of myself. (HEHE)
            Al 96 Ram Air T/A
            Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

I've been using rebuilt pumps with the lifetime warranty, the first ones about $75, and they last about 65k miles.

I also drill the weep hole to 3/16" and install a hose 90 deg. elbow, then connect a couple of feet of 3/16" hose and route it to a spot off the steering rack..... when it starts to leak the coolant comes out the hose to a noticeable spot, and not on top of the opti.
              The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

The weephole mod idea is a great one... Might do it on my new pump. Just replaced mine with one from Autozone, I want to say it was like $40 or $45. Thought that was pretty short money...

Definitely do a cam while you are in there!

Comment

18# of Boost? LOL!

I think Ill stick to the Hot Cam Kit for now. LOL. Thanks for the Info Guys! Im gonna go with a Lifetime Warranty Pump, its much cheaper than from the Dealer, plus it comes with a Warranty! And I was thinking about doing something like that Weep Hole Mod that you guys are talking about, so Im glad you guys straightened that out. Wish me luck! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X