Clutch Pedal Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Pedal Question

I noticed just yesterday that my clutch seems to be engaging lower. The pedal isn't as firm either. I haven't seen any evidence of a leak. The fluid was replaced 5 months ago.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Any problems shifting or the clutch holding? Any problems with the clutch disengaging?

Comment

No, the clutch still engages and disengages. Shifting is no problem at this point. The fluid in the reservoir is below the step, but only slightly. Oh, and that was the transmission fluid that was replaced, not the brake fluid for the clutch.

A few weeks ago the clutch would disengage after a couple inches of pedal movement. It's gotten progressively lower. Now I press down it's softer and I don't feel disengagement until just before the stop. Engagement is also much lower. I think it needs to be bled, but I'm not sure that air in the lines is the primary problem. Maybe the slave or master cylinder is going.

[EDIT] Clutch fluid is black. I hear that's not a good sign.

I'm going to give F-body Central a call this morning and see if they can't take a look at it.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
      X