Rear Gear Pops out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Gear Pops out

I have been noticing that kinda ever since I got my car when I put it in reverse, if I dont hold it there for about the first 2-3 seconds while backing up, the Trans pops out of gear. What can be the Problem. The weird thing is that it does not do it Every time. Around 60% of the time so now I just Apply pressure the entire time. Can it be the Transmittion going bad?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Originally posted by ConElite
    the Trans pops out of gear. What can be the Problem?
    Bad syncros, could be several internal issues. Is the trans going bad? it sure sounds like it.

Comment

Synchros speed up the collar to match the gear speed so it makes for a smooth engagement, but has nothing to do with holding the gear in place. The shift forks are what hold each gear in place. There is a good chance you have a bad shift fork or have a problem with reverse lockout solenoid.

Is it actually hard to put in reverse or does it just pop out?

Comment

he's not putting it in gear all the way in those instances. You gotta make sure it's fully in gear, otherwise it'll grind and pop out.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa
          Synchros speed up the collar to match the gear speed so it makes for a smooth engagement, but has nothing to do with holding the gear in place. The shift forks are what hold each gear in place. There is a good chance you have a bad shift fork or have a problem with reverse lockout solenoid.

Yes its pretty hard to put it in reverse. All other gears are good but its hard to put it in reverse only.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Yes its pretty hard to put it in reverse. All other gears are good but its hard to put it in reverse only.
            See if you can go get the car scanned and look for any "Reverse Inhibit Solenoid" codes. When that solenoid/circuit is functioning properly it will disengage the solenoid as long as the VSS is repoting a vehicle speed of less than 5 MPH. But when the reverse lockout solenoid/circuit malfunctions it will keep the solenoid fully or even partially engaged making it difficult to get the shifter all the way into reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTa

Yeah its rather hard to put it in gear. Then when its in, I let go of the clutch and it either pops out pretty hard or semi-pops out and a grinding noise comes from the trans. Im guessing its the Trans.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Well I finally got a hold of my buddy from the Chevy Dealer i used to work at. I asked him for a favor. Asked him to see if they can Scan my car about the Transmittion. So he got one of the techs. to scan it and no codes. I was amazed. So he suggested that every time im going to go into reverse to pop it into 2nd gear then go into reverse. Sure enough every time now it goes in no problem. He said b/c of the fact that the internal components still kind of spin b/c of the engine, and when u put it in 2nd it stops everything which allows reverse to go in. Anyone ever heard of this?
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Well I finally got a hold of my buddy from the Chevy Dealer i used to work at. I asked him for a favor. Asked him to see if they can Scan my car about the Transmittion. So he got one of the techs. to scan it and no codes. I was amazed. So he suggested that every time im going to go into reverse to pop it into 2nd gear then go into reverse. Sure enough every time now it goes in no problem. He said b/c of the fact that the internal components still kind of spin b/c of the engine, and when u put it in 2nd it stops everything which allows reverse to go in. Anyone ever heard of this?
                  My best-friend has a Honda Civic and S2000, he does that all the time before he puts into reverse. I guess it's universal.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I have noticed on many cars that you have to hold it in reverse for a couple of seconds while you let the clutch engage. I didn't think much of it.
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

have to put mine into 1st or 2nd then into reverse ... so i guess now you tuned me in on the reason for that kinda figured that might be the case. its annoying but at least reverse works when following that routine
                      1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

Working...
                      X