Fuel system service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel system service

I got an oil change with 100% synthetic and a basic fuel system service yesterday. I got my throttle body, and injectors and all that stuff cleaned out. I'm not sure if they cleaned my AIC.

My car is faster now and has more power, but it sounds like crap! It's still making this clicking noise and it's even louder and it idles worse now
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Iceslim0

I didn't see a previous post on the ticking, however, here's an experience I had that may apply.

I had a ticking sound and a slightly rough idle in my '96 Z28. It turned out to be an exhaust manifold leak. The ticking sounded mechanical and got louder and faster as the engine revved. It fooled one tech that looked at it into thinking it was mechanical. Mine showed up not long after I ran some Seafoam through it. I suspect it exacerbated the leak that was already present but not quite detectable.

You might have a similar issue. If the leak is large enough it could throw off sensor readings and cause your rough idle. These leaks are more common on cars with headers. Especially if you don't have locking bolts like Stage 8's.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Iceslim0
      I got an oil change with 100% synthetic and a basic fuel system service yesterday. I got my throttle body, and injectors and all that stuff cleaned out. I'm not sure if they cleaned my AIC.

My car is faster now and has more power, but it sounds like crap! It's still making this clicking noise and it's even louder and it idles worse now
      does the sound go away when the car warms up?
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline
      2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

No it doesn't change with engine temp and it's been going on forever and hasn't really gotten any worse. I think it's a header/manifold something leak. It isn't really hurting anything it just sounds like garbage.

(yes so far it has fooled 2 mechanics, niether found anything wrong)

Would a fuel system flush make the leak worse or louder since there is more air running through and better performance?

Wouldn't the computer pick this up?

How do I fix the leak?

Comment

Originally posted by Iceslim0
          No it doesn't change with engine temp and it's been going on forever and hasn't really gotten any worse. I think it's a header/manifold something leak. It isn't really hurting anything it just sounds like garbage.

(yes so far it has fooled 2 mechanics, niether found anything wrong)

Would a fuel system flush make the leak worse or louder since there is more air running through and better performance?

Wouldn't the computer pick this up?

How do I fix the leak?
          I would a assume that if there was a leak then your computer should have a false lean reading. Also if it doesn't go away after it warms up then it must be a pretty large leak. I have an exhaust leak that goes away after a couple minutes of driving.
          2006 Saturn Ion Redline
          2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have the worst headers ever made ( mac mid-length ) and I was also under the impression that there wasn't such thing as midlength on cars older than 1995 (mine being a 1994).

Comment

If there is a leak where the headers meet the engine, which is the most likely place, than I'd suggest some stage 8 header bolts and possible some soft aluminum or copper gaskets. That seemed to work on my last car. I had SLP shorties btw.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Is that something that is an easy fix? Can I just slap them on(header bolts)?

Comment

It would be easy, but access is difficult. I found a trusted mechanic to do mine, but it all depends on your experience, time available, patience, etc..
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

just my 2 cents, i had been fooled a long time by a similar clicking crap sound. i thought it was a manifold leaking. resulted to be the notorious spark plug nr.8 aluminium bootcover sparking to body. the strange thing is it never gave me any codes. i only detected it by for the dark night to settle in, open motor hood go beneath the car, and just wait and watch for those blue lightsparks .

1996 camaro z28 automatic, no mods.

Comment

Working...
                    X