Lt1 vs Ls1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt1 vs Ls1

I understand a bit about cars but I was wondering if you guys could answer this. Everything being equal (3.42 gears, t56, exc..)why does my stock Lt1 beat most stock Ls1s till around 80 but after that I get walked all over. People say that the Ls1 has more top end but really it doesn't matter if your in 1st or 4th gear at a certain rpm the engines putting out the same number or horsepower and ft\lb of torque. So how come once the Ls1 hits higher speeds it makes my car look slow?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

First of all... they don't have the same amount of horsepower and torque, the LS1 has more (although the LT1 has more torque EARLIER in its powerband, which is why you might jump out ahead to begin with). Also - stock for stock - the LS1 has a higher redline, allowing it to stay in the lower gear longer. It's also lighter - aluminum block vs. iron block. I am sure others can get more technical...

BUT - I can honestly say that in my personal experience versus stock LT1's, I didn't need to wait until I hit 80 to beat them. I pulled on them almost instantly. Of course 01 and 02 LS1's seem to be stronger than 98-00 LS1's (due to the LS6 intake manifold, less restrictive emissions, and hotter cam) which probably explains this...
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
    X