Engine knock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine knock

ok, ive got an engine knock, my engine is missing on cylender 3 and im just curious what the heck is causing it, i read that it could be spark plugs and or wires (both have been replaced) and various other things like my valves. and im just wonder how to figure out how to trouble shoot this problem. it also has a little trouble getting started sometimes, but not very often, might this be a fuel issue? please help, i dont wanna let go of my camaro.
    btw, its a 97 RS 3.8

anybody????
    do u guys just not wanna help.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1
      anybody????
      do u guys just not wanna help.
      Probably reflects the fact that not many people have the V6, so there's limited knowledge. And, there is very little info about the engine supplied... how many miles, does it have an modifications, etc?? Under what conditions does it misfire - cold start, warm idle, under moderate load, under heavy load/WOT, all of the above? Also confusing as to whether the knock you mentioned in your topic is a separate problem, or you believe it is related to the misfire. Then you throw in hard starting - sometimes. Under what conditions - what kind of ambient conditions, when the engine is hot, or after its cooled down, if you try and restart after several minutes, or several hours? Does the starter crank strongly?

Have you had the PCM scanned? Is that how you determine it was misfiring on #3? Does that reflect the misfire count obtained via a scanner (GM enhanced parameters) or did you arrive at that conclusion by some other means, if so, how?

Almost impossible to help with the very limited description you have supplied, except to talk in very generic terms about fuel, spark and mechanical issues.

Spark:
      -plugs (you changed)
      -plug wire (you changed)
      -coil-pack
      -ignition driver
      -corroded wire terminals
      -moisture buildup on damp days
      -crank sensor issues

Fuel:
      -fuel pressure
      -fuel injectors
      -A/F ratio control via O2 sensor and PCM

Mechanical:
      -burned valves
      -misadjusted valves
      -worn rings
      -sticking/collapsed valve lifter
      -bent pushrod
      -worn cam lobe

Knock:
      -piston slap
      -worn rod bearing
      -worn main bearing
      -worn cam bearings
      -detonation

Hard start:
      -weak charging system
      -starter current draw
      -faulty coolant temp sensor
      -incorrect fuel pressure
      -weak check valve in fuel pump
      -leaking injector(s)
      -insufficient or excessive cold start enrichment (PCM)
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ok, let me throw a little more info out there, the cylender 3 misfire is a code pulled from the pcm.
        the knock and misfire occur under any conditions
        the car has 105k miles and an auto trans
        engine is completly stock

the hard starting, let me get more in detail about that, when i start it, it cranks over good (makes a bit of a wierd noise though) and it actually starts, but tries to die (unless i quickly shift it out of P or neutral).

ive switched plugs, wires, and moved around the coil packs, so im pretty sure that those are not the problems

Comment

I think what we're getting at is the fact that we don't know what kind of knock you have. It could be spark knock, it could be mechanical knock. Without being there in person to hear it, the diagnosis is tough. Unless you can be specific about what kind of knock exists, we can't tell you much.

Comment

i killed the fuel to the cyleder (pulled fuel injector electrical connection) and it still has a knock...

Comment

Working...
            X