Clutch pedal went to the floor and now it will not start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal went to the floor and now it will not start

The car has been sitting for about 5 weeks while I was out of town, when I got in it this morning to start it up, the clutch pedal was a little stiff but seemed ok. I started the car and let it run for 5 minutes or so, then pushed in the clutch to shift into gear and it went to the floor. I got out and checked the fluid and it seemed ok, but the pedal goes to the floor with no pressure and now it won't start. Any ideas? Wrecker is on the way now to pick it up.
    Mike
    97 Firebird Formula T-tops-LT1-6 Speed, Hurst shifter, K&N cold air kit, Strut brace, Suspension Technologies sway bars, C5 wheels

Is it possible that when the pedal went to the floor, it bent or damaged the button on the switch at the top of the clutch pedal assembly, that will not allow the engine to start unless the clutch is fully depressed?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I don't think so, sounds like the starter is trying to turn, but something is jammed or stuck. It won't turn over, but the starter is engaging.Never had this kind of problem before, seems like something to do with the slave cylinder or clutch is come loose or jammed.
      97 Firebird Formula T-tops-LT1-6 Speed, Hurst shifter, K&N cold air kit, Strut brace, Suspension Technologies sway bars, C5 wheels

Comment

old school comment--30 years ago I would say it would be the throwout bearing or linkage-but I don't even know if it applies to these transmissions.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Hard to figure out what the problem is when the only info supplied is "now it won't start"

Sounds like the clutch is engaged, and the tranny is in gear. Does putting it in neutral change anything?

Probably doesn't matter, since it looks like you're going to be dropping the trans. Pull the slave cylinder off the side of the bellhousing, and see if there is a leak, check the release fork to make sure its no broken of popped off the pivot, might be able to use a mirror to check the T/O bearing. But the strange part is that the tranny seems to be stuck in gear.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Got the car back to the shop, battery was weak so they charged it up and now it turns over, still will not start. Car rolls in neutral, no problem there. Slave cylinder maybe the clutch problem, did not see any fluid on the pavement under car, but it had been sitting for a while there and there was not any fluid in the reservoir.

Comment

Sounds like the slave to me. Same thing happened to me when I blew my slave (89 formula). You Clutch is way different than mine so I can't offer much more than that. No pressure on pressure required to push leaver to floor sure sounds like its outa oil, and that usually happens when the slave goes. On a side note, the reason my slave went was due to the pivot ball bolt coming loose on my Trany whis in turn was causing my slave to be maxed out before my clutch pedle reached the floor, so I basicaly pushed the cylinder out the end of the housing.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

sounds like the slave definetly ... found a replacement for mine for $40. my clutch was very hard to push ... changed it ... now its like butter. without that working you are getting no clutch play what so ever...
                1991 Pontiac Trans Am V8 305

Comment

I got it fixed, clutch was worn out, not slipping yet but in need of replacement. The rod came out of the slave cylinder. Replaced the slave, clutch and pressure plate and all is well again.

Thanks for the advice.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X