New Slave & Clutch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Slave & Clutch

I posted last week when my slave cylinder went out. Well, it's replaced now and I also had an LS7 clutch / LS2 Flywheel combo isntalled while the trans was out.

I drove it home yesterday and the clutch is engaging right off the floor, which I've read is normal. This morning I noticed it was difficult to shift into 1st. I had to press the clutch in twice a few times.

Also, I had to get on the gas a bit to merge once and the pedal got a little loose. Before it was slightly firm. I'll have to check the fluid level and look for leaks before I head to lunch today.

Do these seem like normal break-in issues? I've been trying to treat it as gently as the traffic around here allows.
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Sounds like the system may need to be checked for leaks and bled. Its impossible to get all the air out of the system unless the master is bench bled before installing. But I would think a problem like that would have shown up immediately.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I'll keep that in mind. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. It looks like the clutch is disengaging ok. Lots of folks mention that the LS7 clutch initially engages/disengages right near the floor and then works it's way back up.

The work was done by F-Body Central in Baltimore. If anyone should know this stuff it's them. They said they bled it once or twice before I picked it up. I'll give them a call if it doesn't improve at all.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I helped a friend with a 99 SS when he swapped out his clutch and installed the McLeod adjustable master cylinder setup. We had it all back together, and no matter how much we pumped the pedal and tried to bleed it, it wouldn't build any pressure at all. I had to go home and get my My-T-Vac so he could bench bleed the master. Fortunately we had "Stickman" (aka "JL8Jeff") with super skinny arms to take the master out and put it back in.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X