Brakes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes!

Well yesterday the brakes went...hard. I think i'm going to go with a some slotted rotors but I have a few questions from the guys who have done it. Is a vented rotor really worth the extra money when you have a stock caliper? If so what plating would be the most resistant to corrosion? I've priced a few on summit and jegs but where did everyone get theres? Any fitment problems? And one more thing...I noticed that because of the metal to metal contact my right rear rotor is eaten up pretty good. Now I don't think it could be resurfaced without some warping so thats why i was gonna replace it...how would I check to make sure that caliper is still good? Also, does summit's brand stand up to companies like powerslot and what not? And will these rotors eat up brake pads faster? Can I turn the slotted rotors when worn again?....Sorry for All the questions...Just figured I'd knock em out left in right all at once.

Slots and dimples offer little in the way of benefits on a stock braking system, cross-drilling is useless. I got Baer rotors with a "zinc wash" coating, and 7 years later, the areas of the rotor that are not swept by the pads are still corrosion free.

"Turning" a scored rotor won't warp it. But there are limits to how much you can take off. The minimum thickness number for the rotor is cast into it. A reputable shop will not reduce the thickness beyond that point, and will tell you if they have to be scrapped. Slotted, dimpled and cross-drilled rotors can all be resurfaced.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I have slotted and "plated" rotors on one of mine and am pretty happy with the look. The performance is acceptable too.

Comment

Do sloted or cross drilled rotors help in the rain?

I've heard that the cross drilled rotors can increase the chances of the rotors cracking starting at the holes.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

WS6store.com offers four rotors for $169. Has anybody used these before? Seems like a good deal, but I have always been a believer in "you get what you pay for".
          2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4
          Slp Lid
          K & N Filter
          FTRA Kit
          Corsa Cat-back

Comment

Originally posted by diamondjimtwo
            WS6store.com offers four rotors for $169. Has anybody used these before? Seems like a good deal, but I have always been a believer in "you get what you pay for".
            I got them...pretty happy with them. They look terrific. I don't know how effective they are because I'm pretty gentle with my car, but they look great. It's been over 10K and they still look perfect and nothing else is wrong with them.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              Do sloted or cross drilled rotors help in the rain?

I've heard that the cross drilled rotors can increase the chances of the rotors cracking starting at the holes.
              No, maybe and yes.

Comment

I have cross-drilled (and slotted, overkill i know) rotors and, yes, they have small cracks around the holes in a couple places. I am not real hard on the brakes and they still somehow began to crack. Although it doesn't seem to be affecting performance, I wll probably replace them with plain or slotted rotors.
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

Yeah i checked out those 169 buck rotors...I too am a believer of you get what you pay for...I would like to go with a bear system eventually so i may just go buy one rotor and turn the rest. But I do like the idea of decent looking rotors untill I spend huge bucks. I guess with that caliper i'll just take it off and if it falls apart i know it's time for one of those too.

Comment

One OEM rotor that is...how big of a pain is it to get rotors off that have been on there god only knows how long i wonder...

Comment

It's not difficult at all. Once you have the wheel off I believe there are 2 bolts holding the caliper on. Then another 2 bolts to remove the caliper frame. It's been a while since I did it, but it should come right off. You might need to tap it a bit to loosen it.

Check here for pics and a very good write-up:
                      http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
                      Joe K.
                      '11 BMW 328i
                      '10 Matrix S AWD
                      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

If you are concerned about quality go to Tire Rack and buy some Brembo Slotted rotors. They are about the highest quality rotors available and very reasonably priced too.

2001 SOM Camaro SS. 1SD options, Neutral leather, ASR, 6spd. H/C, exhaust/intake/suspension. Full list of mods here:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...atasheetSS.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X