Power steering pump??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump??

Anybody know how to change the power steering pump on a 3800 V6 Camaro? I think mine may be going out. It was making a horrible noise when I would turn it from lock to lock. Then someone on here recommended changing the fluid out and adding some Lucas fluid. I did that and the first noise hasn't come back, but now when I start the car in the morning it has this high pitch whine that sounds like maybe the pulley isn't turning and the belt is slipping? Not sure if that is what it is or not. Once the car has been running for about 20 seconds the whine stops, but once the other morning it was really hard to turn the wheel for a few seconds after start up. Is this probably the pump? If so, how hard is it to change and what am I looking at for cost? Any help would be great.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

That whine is normal when you hit lock and hold the wheel there, we had a thread about it long time ago, my LS1 and LT1s have that whine. The whine during cold start ups is probably from cold fuilds...do you give your car a moment to warm up before you get going? Probably, since you were in Canada for awhile...but even in TX, the temps dip cold enough for the new fluid and lucas additive to thicken up when it cool...give it a moment to get pressure and up to operating temps.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Yeah, it has been cold here. I just didn't think it was THAT cold. Maybe that is all it is. I dunno. It just seems like one thing after another is going wrong with the car. It needs a new fuel evap solenoid, whatever that is, a major brake job, new windshield, and to top it off...the sunvisor on the passenger side broke off. Being broke is not helping either. Ughh...I am going to be screwed when it comes time to get her inspected.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

When do you have to get it inspected?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
          once the other morning it was really hard to turn the wheel for a few seconds after start up.
          Funny you should mention that. My 97 started doing that, I was going to replace the rack anyway due to some play in various parts. I replaced the rack and the problem was solved. I never did have to replace the pump and there have been zero issues. Mine exibited the whine since new, now I don't notice it. Then again, it could be the louder exhaust that masks the sound. At least there are now turning isses hot or cold.

Comment

How old is your belt/tensioner?
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Originally posted by Mark B
              How old is your belt/tensioner?
              It's about 5 years old now. I have to get the car inspected at the end of January.

Comment

Working...
              X