Pass Emissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pass Emissions

I don't need to address this issue until next year in Oct.

Will a rattling stock catalytic converter pass emissions? (IMO not bad enough yet to replace, so I'm .)
    I have a high flow Magnaflow universal catalytic converter at home that I never installed. Will this have any problems passing emissions?

Also, will a slightly blown headgasket cause emission problems? (Car drives just fine at this time, but have been losing antifreeze in small amounts on, and off inside the car somewhere since August.)
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

From my expirence with Magnaflow cats... You probably have a better chance passing emissions with a stock cat that is going bad than a brand new Magnaflow. There is a reason they are so cheap. My next one will NOT be a magnaflow. Im already working on my 3rd one in 2 years!
    No F-Body right now

Comment

Check my thread below. I have a Carsound, which is essentially a Magnaflow cat.

Before all below smog tests, I had: Moroso CAI, stock MAF, 1.6 RRs, Borla exhaust

110k, Stock original cat, stock original EGR

118k, PCMforless tune, SLP headers, NEW EGR, 9" rear with lower gears (increase in RPM), Carsound cat

118k, back to stock tune, clean air filter, Seafoam

I do have an exhaust leak that has slightly increased with the installation of the SLP headers, and I have a few more miles, but THAT much of an increase? I am almost certain it has to do with the new cat.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Proof to back up my thoughts... Thanks Craig!
        No F-Body right now

Comment

Anybody want to buy a new Magnaflow high flow cat off me?
          I guess I will never install this 1 then, and if I have to buy 1 at a later time I'll go with stock. That would suck to spend all that money on installation then go through emissions, and fail. Maybe I'll sell it on EBAY.
          94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

The way it was explained to me by someone on this board. The catalist that is inside the cat is made up of several precious metals. The cheaper cat, the less precious metal in the cat. Therefore, they just dont work as well. I doubt if there are any aftermarket cats that will keep up with the stock cat. I have heard similar stories about expensive aftermarket cats like the ones from random technology. My next cat might be from a junkyard car. I just cant spend $350 on a new cat from GM.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

The mechanic told me its illegal to install a catalytic converter that is used because I wanted to do the same thing, and there expensive. But if you can do it yourself then I guess its legal. I guess a mechanic would get in trouble with the law. I guess emissions equipment has to be new.

Comment

The mechanic told me its illegal to install a catalytic converter that is used because I wanted to do the same thing, and there expensive. But if you can do it yourself then I guess its legal. I guess a mechanic would get in trouble with the law. I guess emissions equipment has to be new.

I feel emissions equipment should be payed by the manufacturer if they break because there suppose to last as long as you have the vehicle. Should be free, and free install. Manufacturer of the stock cat should get the bill for all of this.

Comment

Has anyone passed emissions with a Magnaflow catalytic converter?

Comment

stat

I noticed that you have a 160 stat. The lt1 burns cleaner when it's running at factory temps. Try going back a step. Put the stat that it calls for back in.

Comment

Working...
                    X