somthings killing my battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• somthings killing my battery

I went to start my firebird witch had not been sitting for more then a week. Turned the key to start and got nothing but a rapidly clicking starter, when I let go of the key my d-side headlight witch has a stripped gear started grinding out of the clear blue so i jumped it and it started in less then 10 seconds, two days later it wont start again

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
    2001 Intrigue GL

i know this has nothing to do with the headlight motor but, check the glovebox light, my 97's glovebox wont shut enuff to hit the sensor for the light so i have to remove the bulb until i adjust it or get a new latch. just a guess b/c the older cars that happens to. good luck let me know what it is
    1997 Pontiac For Sale: Comp T/A, silver, 6-speed, T-Tops,
    Eibach Sportline 2" lowering springs, K&N filter, 5% limo tints
    Airfoil, Hypertech Programmer III, 3.73 w/Eaton diff

Comment

Mine keeps doing something like that. I don't even know how many batteries I've had go bad in the last couple years. Mine's intermittent though. I just had to replace a 2 month old battery that went completely dead.
      95 Z28 - K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back, Edelbrock STB, UMI Perf SFC, Performabuilt Pro Street 4L60E, 2800 Stall, Hayden tranny cooler, CRT Intake elbow, LS1 DS, 2k C5 replicas, Toyo Proxes T1S 255/40/17(f) 285/40/18(r), slotted rotors w/ Axxis MM pads, 15% front/5% rear tint, 97+ Console upgrade, all oils now synthetic

Bought and to install: UMI Adj LCA, Adj Panhard, LCA relocation brackets, 96 SS Spoiler....Broken and to be fixed

Comment

Have the battery and the alternator tested. If they check fine, then hook up an ammeter going between the battery and the electrical system. Do not try and start the car, only check for a small drain. One by one, start removing fuses until you see the circuit responsable for the drain. When you pull a fuse that has active power running thought the circuit, you'll see a drop in load immediatly. obviously do this with the power off as you are searching for a power drain while the car is shut off. You can can also check your fusebox with a digital volt meter. Check for an active circuit that shouldn't be active with the key off.

When I bought my 94, it would do the very same thing. Turns out an alarm system that the previous owner has installed was defective and causing a good sized power drain.

Comment

I just replaced the battery under warranty a couple days ago and the alternator a few months ago after the voltage regulator took a dump. I've been suspecting that it's my alarm for a while, but just haven't had time to dig into it further.
          95 Z28 - K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back, Edelbrock STB, UMI Perf SFC, Performabuilt Pro Street 4L60E, 2800 Stall, Hayden tranny cooler, CRT Intake elbow, LS1 DS, 2k C5 replicas, Toyo Proxes T1S 255/40/17(f) 285/40/18(r), slotted rotors w/ Axxis MM pads, 15% front/5% rear tint, 97+ Console upgrade, all oils now synthetic

Bought and to install: UMI Adj LCA, Adj Panhard, LCA relocation brackets, 96 SS Spoiler....Broken and to be fixed

Comment

I fully charged the battery yesterday drove it about 8miles and left it sitting for a couple hours (in low 30degree temps). When I went to start it nothing it started right up with cables, this morning on a sunny 60degree day it started right up. Now its got a leaking brake line

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
            2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Working...
            X