Fender Bender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bender

My wife's Sebring was bumped from the rear the other day leaving some minor marks and slight spiderwebing in the rear bumper. I talked with the owner of the other car and he's willing to work something out outside of insurance. It doesn't matter to me as long as the paint is fixed.

I'm taking it down to get an estimate later, but I was wondering if you all had any experience in how much it would cost to repaint the rear bumper. Just as a reality check. The only comparison I have is when I had my hood repainted 6 years ago on my last car in Georgia. It was $360 but that's probably not the best comparison.

Thanks!
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I had the rear bumper repainted in 2004 by a GM dealership and it cost $252.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Hopefully it won't be much more than that. I was charged a labor rate of about $32/hour on my hood repaint. I'm sure it's higher in Northern Virginia. The other owner seems very reasonable, but those things can always change depending on the circumstances. His daughter was driving and their jeep seems to have taken the brunt of the damage, minor though it is.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

I just ran it through our estimating program with the "surveyed" rate in our area. Our door Rate is $48/hr. I don't know the extent of the damage but I included 1 body hour for the spider webbing.

2.7 Body Hours @ $44/hr = $118.80
        3.6 Refinish Hours @ $44/hr = $158.40
        3.6 Supplies @ $22/hr = $79.20
        Hazardous Waste Removal = $5.00

Total = $361.40

Let me know how it goes as I am curious as to what the labor rates are over there...
        Greg W. in West Michigan
        1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
        1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
        1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
        1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
        1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
        <Motor out

Comment

I just had a used rear bumper for a Trans Am painted and it only cost me $150. It had to be scuffed, painted and fixed (it had a rip in it about 4" long). Looks good, cant tell it was ever ripped. I guess it just depends on who ya know, when and where ya go.
          LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1

Comment

Originally posted by LarryMow
            I guess it just depends on who ya know, when and where ya go.
            You got that right!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Well, here's what I found...

Parts 53.45
              Body Labor 3.4hrs @ 40/hr 136.00
              Paint Labor 4.5 hrs @ 40 180.00
              Paint Supplies 4.5 hrs @ 26/hr 117.00
              Body Supplies 2.0hrs @ 3/hr 6.00
              Sublet Misc. 14.00

This includes removing and re-installing the bumper. If the energy absorbing material is damaged thats another $100. Rates look equivilent to what's above, but the hours are a little higher. I'm not sure what the sublet/misc. represents. It does come with a Lifetime Warranty.

Here's the shop: http://www.professionalcollision.com/shop.htm
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Eh, thats not bad
                Id do it esp. with the lifetime warranty

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Yeah, too bad the warranty doesn't cover future collisions!

Oh, apparently they'll handwash and vacuum the car too!
                  Joe K.
                  '11 BMW 328i
                  '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

That sounds about right... Like I said I have no idea how much damage needs fixed. It looks like a good shop. Is it just me or is that a white 3rd gen F-body in the fourth pic down?
                    Greg W. in West Michigan
                    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                    <Motor out

Comment

yes it is a F-body. Hummm... it gives them a couple bonus points.
                      1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

Working...
                      X