Whats involved in installing headers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats involved in installing headers?

I'm looking at the SLP long tube pricing from TByrne and drooling...but whats involved? can it be done in the back yard? does the engine need to be removed in order to do the install? Obviously i would do the plugs while I was in there. With long tubes...the Y-pipe and the new cats would the emissions stuff still be in place? I don't want emissions to give me a hassle here in Connecticut.

A header install on a late model F-bod is an involved job. It can be done at home but plan on spending most of your weekend under your car. Clearance is real tight and access to things like the dipstick and other interfering items is brutal. You'll probably want to get a new set of plug wires as well. I'd recommend a universal set that you can route differently if necessary. Go with Taylor or any other quality brand - it's well worth it (also don't go any bigger than 8mm or you'll be fabricating new parts to make everything fit). Best of luck!
    '95 Z28 M6 140K
    SLP Intake, T-Byrne MAF shells, JBA headers, SLP SS Cat-back, 3" Morflow, JET cool fan, Accel 300+, B&M Ripper, Bilsteins, Eibach Pro, LPE AL driveshaft, Custom fabricated SFC's, Hotchkis tower brace, SS brake lines, 17" Moda's, yada yada...

Comment

As a veteran of the process I can definitely say that the time you spend on it is WELL WORTH the money you will save versus taking it to a shop to have it done. I did the install with 3 or 4 friends helping me out - and the process took about 8 hours. You will need to have a few different sized rachets as well as the sockets because not all rachets will fit in all places. The #6 bolt on both sides was a real bear - both when taking off the stock manifolds, and when putting the new headers on.

But there is no question that the "quality time" you spend with the car is well worth it.

As far as emissions go, as long as you put catalytic converters back on, you should still pass with fying colors. I opted to remove the cats all together, and go with O2 sims. I am WICKED loud now - so putting cats on might not be too bad of an idea

If you have access to a lift that would be ideal. I would not attempt this withthe car just jacked up, but ramps would probably get the job done... only thing about ramps I would question is how much room you would have when jimmying the headers in to place.

Good luck.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

No lift here unfortunately... just jack stands and rhino ramps. I had always heard you need to lift the engine a little to remove the manifolds and install the headers...any truth to that? I have limited garage space at the moment. I really would like to have them but I don't have to time or space to install them i am realizing... to much work to be done on the 79 TA

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 2000 TA
          No lift here unfortunately... just jack stands and rhino ramps. I had always heard you need to lift the engine a little to remove the manifolds and install the headers...any truth to that? I have limited garage space at the moment. I really would like to have them but I don't have to time or space to install them i am realizing... to much work to be done on the 79 TA
          What are you doing to your '79? Which one is it. I really love my '79!
          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I didn't have to lift or move the engine at all... it's a tight squeeze, but it works.
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
              What are you doing to your '79? Which one is it. I really love my '79!
              Its a restoration project. Got it off a neighbor of my parents with a transplanted Pontiac 350 for 150.00. runs good after the addition of a replacement fuel pump... just needs one floor pan patch...a rocker panel...a brake line and a nose and rear bumper. Also needs a radiator and battery tray. Interior has the normal rips and worn parts but the friggen clock in the dash still works! Its a 79 trans Am with a Pontiac 350 and auto trans. maroon metal flake in color with a black interior. I hope to have it on the road for next year sometime as it will likely be a car show cruiser...may take it to the track to see what it does.

Comment

Headers on a 79

I have a 79 T/A with a 455 olds in it and just had headers put on it . I am in a similiar position as you but I have a four car garage . You can do it yourself but the first problem you will have is that you cant get the car high enough and the second is you will have to modify your heater box .third do you have a torch and can weld everything together . I consider myself relatively mechanically inclined but to spend the whole weekend break one the the exhaust bolts and then be stuck isnt worth the 225 dollars it took to have my mechanic do it .
                The most surprising thing is that my car is quietier than before I put the headers on , Why we dont know but I can say it so far is the best modifcation I have done to my car . It runs like snot now . It really helped the breathing .
                I was going to be bull headed but when my coworker saw them come in he gave me the same advice I am giving you . Be smart pay to get it done . Without being able to get the car high enough you will be busting your knuckles in vain. . If you live in NJ and need the name of the shop let me know .

Comment

I assume you are talking about putting headers on a 79? I was talking about putting Headers on my LS1... the 79 was a seperate topic / project. If it was the 79 i was working on hell yeah I would do it myself... I am thinking I might be better off having the LS1 done professionally though.

Comment

... I am thinking I might be better off having the LS1 done professionally though.
                    Honestly, Craig... it is very do-able and self-explanatory once you get started on it. You will be looking at around $300 to get them professionally installed -- that just isn't worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X