Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel

Hey guys, I'm still alive...

So I had my birthday dinner lastnight and got a few goodies. My best-friend got me a pilot gt3 steering wheel...pretty cool. I forgot I wanted this wheel like a year ago...anywho, he remembered and got me the wheel and hub assembly.

My question is, is there a write up on swapping wheels? I did a search and found bits and pieces. Seems like I have to use a special GM steering wheel puller. How do I properly disengage the airbag and well, I just want proper procedures in doing this...the last thing I want is a jab into a face from the air bag.

Thanks homies...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

I used the procedures in my Chilton's manual. Have to disconnect the fuse for the airbag system, and wait at least 20 minutes for the DERM module to discharge the reserve power it holds to activate the airbag in case battery power is lost in a crash. After that, the airbag is safe. You will have to find the yellow airbag harness connector at the base of the steering wheel, pull the safety pin out of it and disconnect it. When handling the airbag, even after it is disconnected, hold it away from your body, just in case.

I guess from the photo you have a T/A??? The cover with the bag comes off by removing 4 Torx screws reached from the back of the wheel. There's connectors for the airbag, radio and the horn. Then I used a $6 Grant steering wheel puller, so unless they changed something between 94 and 99, no special tool is required.

After the wheel is off, you pull a snap ring and remove the coil spring that keeps the airbag wires connected when the wheel rotates. To pull that out, you have to pull the airbag harness wire up through the steering column, and that's a PITA to get the large harness connector through. I ended up cutting the connector off.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X