Lean codes and PCV valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean codes and PCV valve

A while back, I had a question about lean engine codes I was getting intermittently. Since then, I have been looking for vacuum leaks and have found one in the rubber connection to the PCV valve. My question is would a large hole in the line to the PCV valve cause problems, like a lean engine?
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Excessive lean may throw a code.

Comment

Sorry, I may have typed my question a little quick.

I do currently have intermittent lean codes right now (it's throwing the check engine light intermittently) In searching for a cause to the lean condition, I came across the hole in the PCV valve rubber elbow.

Could the hole in the PCV valve elbow cause the lean condition?

p.s. - I can't figure out how to link to my previous post, but if you do a search for "lean" you'll find it. That will have more details of my lean condition.

Comment

Which rubber hose for the PCV valve? On the 95-97 cars, the PCV vacuum comes from the intake manifold under the throttle body to the PCV valve on the driver's side of the intake. If that's the vacuum line you have a hole in, it would cause a small leak.

Or are you possible mixing up the PCV air supply hose on the passenger side valve cover? A hole in that line would cause an even smaller vacuum leak, because the PCV valve limits the air flow. Many people delete that line and install a breather on the valve cover with no problems.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The valve I'm talking about is on the driver's side of the engine, with 2 fuel injectors on either side. It has a hard line piped from it to somewhere under the throttle body. But where the valve and the hard line meet, there is a rubber "L" that is split.

I'm just curious if this could be causing my lean codes. If so, great. If not, I'll know to keep searching for an answer to my lean problem.

The only way I know it's the PCV valve is because it pulled out while I was trying to find the leak I was hearing. I called the parts store and they crossed the ACDelco number stamped on it. (it's small, about 1" in diameter, and 1.5 - 2" long)

Thanks for the help so far.

Ryan

Comment

Why not just repair the leak and see if the "lean" codes go away? I doubt they will, but that leak, in combination with some other problem may be what's turning the light on.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X