catalytic converter notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catalytic converter notice

I recieved a fairly goofy letter from GM on a 2000 5.7L engine (like my ragtop) catalytic converter problem.

"This letter is to make you aware that some 2000 model year.....engine, may have a failure of the left or right catalytic converter." Then it goes on "This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your...dealer .......unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above."

Now, what the h3!!, exactly, is the conditon described above? Failure is a mighty nebulous word. Does it mean they fall off, they blow up, they stop working, they create so much backpressure the engine doens't run right?????? I LOVE letters like these.

Anyone know specifically what the "failure" is????????"
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

I would contact them for more information. I just had the dealer replace my cat in my sisters 2003 Impala LS with 62K on it. The cat was clogged. The car wouldn't get past 3800 RPM's. It wasn't throwing a code unless you held it there for a while and you'd only get a random misfire..

Good Luck..
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Interrrresssssting!!!!

I have been having problems with power loss on accellerating--feels like a misfire or fuel starvation. When I got teh letter. clogged cat was the first thing that came to mind-but wondered if anyone here knew for sure what teh issue was.

Think I call a dealer tomorrow
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

I received one of these letters as well. Pretty interesting. Im going to call my old buddies from the Chevy Dealer and find out whats going on. Ill let u guys know.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I received a letter as well... 2-3 weeks after I had LT's with cats installed ... I wonder what GM would do If I said I just wanted the parts that's it
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

Long but interesting

Well, I made a frustrating visit to the local dealer, who also thot the letter form GM was goofy but said he would have to charge me $100 for a diagnostic servce. When I balked about that, he referred me to the GM Assistance Center. I called it-the barely english speaking person didnt know a catalytic converter from a dish antenna. I finally asked where she was located--her response was GM is in Detroit, Michigan. I said I know where GM is- where are you, and she said in almost a whisper - Argentina. After being put on hold for 25 minutes, I finanly was tranferred to an english speaking service tech (I actually think he was US citizen-sounded American anyway), who after I described the whole thing again, said he really was a service expert but not a servcice techinican expert so he really couldn't answer specifically technical questions, so he really didn't know if my problem was what teh service letter was about. So after a dealer visit, a call to Argentina, a transfer to a servce technician who really wasn't (he even laugherd when I said so your a tech but not a tech)-I ended up no further along than I was an hour before.

Looks like my only option is to pay $100, but there is no guarantee what the reuslt of that will be either.

I just sent an email to GM, hoping someone will answer, but not holding out much hope.

Comment

We had already unbolted the cat and drove the car and knew the cat was clogged. The dealer said there would be a $80 diagnostic charge, but that would be wavied if the cat was bad. We bolted back up the cat and unbolted the exhaust and took it in. They called and asked what we had done and I told them and the next thing I knew I was getting a call to come pick it up and it was no charge...

Good luck..
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

i too got a letter, but all i had to do was call the dealer and set up an appointment. They replaced my cats and reimbersed me for all the other times i have gone in there to get them replaced. Handed me a big check for 2,200 bucks, oh yeah!!!! i have some christmas shopping money now
                2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
                current mods.....
                3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
                1979 10th anniversary ta
                yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

Comment

So, were you having the same types of problems like I described? Would really like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
                    So, were you having the same types of problems like I described? Would really like to know.

no i wasnt having power loss, mine were actually melting to the point of where it was like not even having them... the only real problem i had with it was the annoying SES light....
                    2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
                    current mods.....
                    3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
                    1979 10th anniversary ta
                    yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

Comment

Working...
                    X