Vortec 350 fluid leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortec 350 fluid leak

Hi guys, I know this is a non f-body related problem but you guys are the best for help. I have a 97 chevy k1500 w/the vortec 350. I replaced the water pump this spring w/a brand new one. Now i have anti-freeze dripping on the floor again. Small amount. Its hard to see where its coming from due to the crank pulley. Trail ends up on the lower craddle. It actually looks as if its coming from the front of the intake/drivers side head. I think there known for leaking around the intake over time like the lt1 engines. Didn't know if anyone knows of another sight or has a truck like this and has any input.When i say i think its coming from this area its because i see a small trail of something that could very well be anti-freeze
    trickling down and dismillair looking from the light oil around the area.The motor has 73,000 on it. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by 93/96 f-body
    Hi guys, I know this is a non f-body related problem but you guys are the best for help. I have a 97 chevy k1500 w/the vortec 350. I replaced the water pump this spring w/a brand new one. Now i have anti-freeze dripping on the floor again. Small amount. Its hard to see where its coming from due to the crank pulley. Trail ends up on the lower craddle. It actually looks as if its coming from the front of the intake/drivers side head. I think there known for leaking around the intake over time like the lt1 engines. Didn't know if anyone knows of another sight or has a truck like this and has any input.When i say i think its coming from this area its because i see a small trail of something that could very well be anti-freeze
    trickling down and dismillair looking from the light oil around the area.The motor has 73,000 on it. Thanks for any help.
    I would suggest thoroughly cleaning the engine and adding tracer dye to the coolant. This is to be used with a blacklight so as to glow nicely and pinpoint the source of the leak.

Comment

I agree with Joe.. We had to do that once to find a small leak coming from the intake gasjket.
      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Vortec motors are very common for the plastic intake manifold gaskets leaking at front and rear. Check the oil for it being milky. if could be just an external leak. We change the gaskets all the time here at the shop. Also check the heater hose connector on the passenger side rear. its aluminum and breaks 24/7. replace it with a steal one. its 5/8" and Orielly auto partshas a superseded intake manifold gasket with an aluminum core with rubber outside. Good luck

P.S. a pressure tester works good for finding the leak too. most auto parts places rent them out.

Comment

I have a 98 z71 and have had countless leaks latley. Pressure testing it seems to be the only surefire way to pinpoint leaks. I've had to replace the water pump, radiator, and 2 hoses all in the past 4 months.
          98 z-71 silverado white
          93 trans am, green, a4, 96 trans am motor swap in progress

Comment

Vortec 350's intakes and lifters keep us in business at the shop.. Well not really.. but its good money.

Comment

Working...
            X