Royal Purple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Purple

So I was watching horsepower TV a few weeks ago and they were having a segment on Royal Purple motor oil, how its made, and benifits of using it. I was amazed by the Quality control process and the gains as advertised. Needless to say I went out and bought the oil and put it in my car. So far I have been inpressed. The TA is getting about 21 mpg in town and on weeks when I travel to play basketballand use the rest of the tank for my regular routine I get about 325 miles on a tank. (This is a hypothetical number as I never let it get under 3 gallons). I was just wondering if anyone else here uses this oil and gets the same results.
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Yup. Good stuff. I recommend it to everyone.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Never tried it. Is it synthetic or come that way? I'm partial to synthetic oils, I only use them in our cars. What's so good about it?
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Whats the price like on this stuff... I've never heard of it before and my engine needs all the lovin it can get.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
          Whats the price like on this stuff... I've never heard of it before and my engine needs all the lovin it can get.
          Its synthetic and the local NAPA here carries it at about 11.50 per quart. It's well worth the money though in my opinion. I have probably saved the extra cost in fuel already. Plus they say you can go 8000-12000 miles between changes. I probably wont do that, but thats what they say.

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
            Its synthetic and the local NAPA here carries it at about 11.50 per quart. It's well worth the money though in my opinion. I have probably saved the extra cost in fuel already. Plus they say you can go 8000-12000 miles between changes. I probably wont do that, but thats what they say.
            $11.50 seems kinda steep. Local pep-boys has it for 6.99/quart.
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

i extremely urge you to not go that long in between oil changes not a wise decision yeah the oil might not break down that fast but who's to say what gets in the oil in that amount of time, contaminants is one of the biggest killers of engines and precision parts. who knows you may never have a problem if your engine is tight and clean but i wouldn't chance it myself exspecially if you beat on your engine.
              '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
              '00 T/A Silver
              '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

We sell Royal Purple where I work, but I don't use it. Why? The very test in their brochures is the same test that other companies use to tout the categories in which they won. But who was the overall winner?

Amsoil.

By a pretty big margin.

And it was a motorcycle oil test, which is subject to MUCH more stress than a car engine due to the wet clutch and the transmission and engine using the same oil.

Now don't get me wrong, Royal Purple makes good oil, but if you read the entire thing you will see why Amsoil is so much better.

And like the rest of you guys, I don't care how long they advertise the oil is "good" for, it's coming out around 3000 miles. Oil is cheap compared to an engine.

If you want to see this test and it's results, the documentation is on Amsoil's website.
                "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                  $11.50 seems kinda steep. Local pep-boys has it for 6.99/quart.
                  Unfortunately I live in BFE New Mexico and the guy that runs NAPA can't aford to buy the stuff in any large quantity.

Comment

Unfortunately I live in BFE New Mexico and the guy that runs NAPA can't aford to buy the stuff in any large quantity.
                    you might want to check out an online retailer...just hopefully the shipping wouldn't offset the savings. Unless your loyal to this guy.
                    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
                      you might want to check out an online retailer...just hopefully the shipping wouldn't offset the savings. Unless your loyal to this guy.
                      I looked online and it was alot cheaper, but it was one of those things where I had the time to do it and I wanted it now. So I took the extra cost up the But next time I will definately get it somewhere else.

Comment

I have probably saved the extra cost in fuel already. Plus they say you can go 8000-12000 miles between changes. I probably wont do that, but thats what they say.

I would doubt that. If you were to increase your mileage by 2 mpg, that would mean roughly 30 miles extra per tank, provided you ran it until empty. That would amount to a saving of roughly $3.80 per 15 gallons. Assuming 22 mpg average, that equates to 330 miles per 15 gallons. 10 tankfulls will save you $38 in fuel and get you 3300 miles. You would need to drive well over 5000 miles to see any savings at 11.50 a quart. Also consider that ANY oil, regardless of the brand or chemestry will pick up contaminants that filters cannot deal with such as fuel contamination and acid formations. I change my oil at no longer than 3000 miles with synthetic, there is no actual savings. You're going to be paying somewhere. At $6.99 a quart, that's a different story........ but the whole problem is that in all the tests I've seen, no oil out there increased mileage by 2 mpg average. You have more of a chance of saving extra fuel by changing your driving habits.

Don't get me wrong, synthetic oil is fantastic for it's lubrication and heat tolerance properties. Don't fool yourself by thinking it's a way to save at the gas pumps. It's best thought of is saving the life of your engine by increasing it's lifespan, saving you thousands of dollars in a premature rebuild. That's where the true savings take place.

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
                          We sell Royal Purple where I work, but I don't use it. Why? The very test in their brochures is the same test that other companies use to tout the categories in which they won. But who was the overall winner?

Amsoil.

............If you want to see this test and it's results, the documentation is on Amsoil's website.
                          Just curious.... was "Amsoil" developed as part of the Amway pyramid scheme?
                          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The only changes I have made to the car since I purchased it are an electric cut out and the royal purple oil. I used to get between 270-285 on a tank and now I get 285 easy and still have 3.5 gallons or so in the tank when I fill up. Maybe its that the car isn't so new to me anymore and I am driving more like a civilized human being. Its just a change that I noticed after adding the oil. And I really never sat down to do the math, I just assumed the savings was there.

Comment

Using "miles per tank" is not very accurate. You need to keep accurate records of the miles driven and the exact number of gallons it took to fill the tank. Miles per gallon is what you need to evaluate the effects of the change.
                              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X