Trick for removing O2 sensor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick for removing O2 sensor?

I tried everything to loosen the O2 sensor behind the second cat on my 96 TA. Nothing. I tried it cold, hot, WD40, even a pipe wrench. I think it is welded on. Anyone know any tricks.
    Ryan
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Well, WD-40 isn't really a penetrant. It prevents rust by displacing water and makes a good light duty lube. Liquid Wrench, Kroil, 3-in-1 oil, and others are penetrants meant to loosen stuck or rusted parts. There might be issues with the chemical wrecking the sensor if any of it gets on there, but if you are going to replace or pitch the sensor, then go ahead; otherwise, be careful which one you use. I suppose you have tried one of the special sockets with the slot for the wire, but I'll mention it anyway. I've removed them hot & cold and never had a problem, but I've heard of a lot of guys who had difficulty removing them. I believe the manual recommends doing it while warm. Pipe wrenches can really wreck things by collapsing the fitting and causing the threads to be out-of-round, so that should be a last resort.

Comment

Why are you removing the 2ndary O2's? They don't do anything for performance, if they are throwing a light and you are having emissions problems, unplug them and either plug in dummies or program them off...

Just my $0.02...

Comment

The pipe wrench was a last resort. It left teeth marks on the nut.
        I was replacing it because it is giving me the SES light.
        If it won't hurt to unplug it I will save my $80 and do that. Or, where would I get the O2 sims? Will unpluging or the sims send an error causing the light to still come on? Will either method adversely effect the mixture, because the car still runs great with the light on. No noticable change in performance.

Thanks
        Ryan
        96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

The 2ndary O2s do nothing other than set your SES light in the event your Cats go bad, so your car will not run differently with or without them.

However, simply unplugging them will still set off the SES light (the computer is not getting voltage from them so it will tell you they are bad). If you are getting the SES light and the code is telling you it's the 2ndary O2's, you can buy the dummy O2 sensors from a bunch of different places. I have posted stuff about Summit alot recently so I don't want to get the reputation as "the guy who built his car out of Summit". This is definitely not the case, most of my car is custom, but they do have specialty parts like this. I do beleive they are listed in there. If not, I think Thunder Racing, MTI, LGMotorsports to name a few (all of these guys support F-bodies and our suppliers) all carry them.

Unless you are getting the SES light because your cats really are bad (unlilkely but still a possibility), this would fix your problem.

Comment

The code was 0161 O2 sensor hearter circuit malfunction (post-converter sensor right bank)
            The SES light initially came on 2 weeks ago. I unplugged the PCM fuse to get rid of the light, and it took until now to come back on.
            I am assuming if the cat was going bad the code would relate to catalyst or emissions.
            For now I will look into the sims or ignore the light.
            Thanks for your help.
            Ryan

Comment

No problem..... good luck, hope that works...

Comment

PB Blast will break the sensor loose. You can get it at autozone or probably napa. Best penetrant I ever used.

I broke the head off a head bolt and knew I was screwed. I clamped a pair of vice grips on the nub, sprayed some Blast on it and prayed. Came back 10 minutes later and the bolt had turned under the weight of the vice grips. Cool stuff.

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Torch time!!
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Map Gas. Sawzall. Sledgehammer.

Remember: If at first it doesn't work.. FORCE IT!!

96 TA Sold!
                    87 TA Sold!
                    80 Z28 Sold!
                    74 Formula Sold!
                    73 Z28 Sold!
                    69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                      PB Blast will break the sensor loose. You can get it at autozone or probably napa. Best penetrant I ever used.

I broke the head off a head bolt and knew I was screwed. I clamped a pair of vice grips on the nub, sprayed some Blast on it and prayed. Came back 10 minutes later and the bolt had turned under the weight of the vice grips. Cool stuff.

Yup..... this stuff is great. Spray it liberally, bang on it a couple of times to help it penetrate, go have a sandwich. Come back and try it and usually it works.

Comment

I have a 91 Jimmy that I had to replace the o2 sensor on...i think it was original! I ended up fitting a box end wrench on it with a piece of fence post on the wrench... no lie it was about 4 feet long. It was still a bit of effort to turn it but it turned by god!

Comment

Working...
                        X