Stuck in Park!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in Park!!!

Alright, well my 96 TA (automatic) has been sitting in the garage all winter due to me not being able to sell it. I needed to take it out to a shop and get some things fixed but when i went to back it out, i couldnt get the thing out of park. The button on the gear shift will not depress at all. Is this a common problem out there? if so, what can i do to fix this???!!

Thanks
    Anthony
    1996 TA LT1 A4 - K&N intake... Flowmaster Super 40s (American Thunder)... ram air II hood on its way

Put the key in, turn it, step on the brake to disable the interlock and shift it into the desired gear. If that doesn't work, you may have a trans cable issue.

Comment

Yes, im aware of those technicalities, however, the brake is not the problem. Do you have any more information on what else could possibly be the problem?
      1996 TA LT1 A4 - K&N intake... Flowmaster Super 40s (American Thunder)... ram air II hood on its way

Comment

Originally posted by illicitMetal
        Yes, im aware of those technicalities, however, the brake is not the problem. Do you have any more information on what else could possibly be the problem?
        brake/shift interlock solenoid might be faulty..maybe if you move it by hand a few times it will be ok

Do you hear the click when you step on the brake after you start the engine?
        93 t/a A4 3.23s
        95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
        99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
        99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
        97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
        93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
        00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Put the key in, turn it, step on the brake to disable the interlock and shift it into the desired gear. If that doesn't work, you may have a trans cable issue.
          thats cruel , it says that next to the shifter 'apply brake to shift from park'
          93 t/a A4 3.23s
          95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
          99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
          99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
          97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
          93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
          00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

If you take the cover plate off the console you will see something that looks like this picture. The BTSI is the solenoid that is triggered by pressing the brake. You should be able to see it move when you press the brake down. If it doesn't, it is most likely the solenoid but it could be the switch on the brake pedal or the switch has moved in the bracket and being pressed down. Right before I converted mine to a M6 that solenoid was starting to get intermittent.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by illicitMetal
              How did you determine that the brake/shift interlock was not the problem? If you've already investigated things and ruled them out, tell us up front. Joe made a serious attempt to help, and you seemed to shoot him down for trying. I had the exact same thought - brake/shift interlock.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I had a similar issue on an S10 truck after I installed some new LED tailights- seems the tailights caused a fuse to blow, and that same fuse disabled the parking shift solenoid circuit- check all fuses!
                2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
                "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

You can try unplugging the BTSI solenoid and see if you can then depress the button. If so, it's not being de-energized.

You can also try this little test (it works on my car, but not sure it's supposed to ) :
                  Move the key cylinder from the lock position to the OFF position (no power to anything, yet).
                  Try to depress the shifter button (mine depresses).
                  You could then move it to neutral and start the car.
                  That would get you out of a pinch without having to fiddle with anything.
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Working...
                  X