Rattles and creaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattles and creaks

I have been the proud owner of a 1999 trans am for almost 6 months now. No problems with it yet and it seems to be a real solid car although its starting to make a few noises on bumpy roads. My last 2 f-bodies (1989 third gens) sounded like I had an open tool box in the back at all times which got really annoying. I was wondering what steps I could take to prevent this from happening to my new baby. Right now the driver side t-top makes a rattling sound and I believe I am starting to hear some noise from the hatch area. Are these inevitable noises I will be stuck with or is there a way to prevent them. (excluding not driving down bump roads).
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Subframe connectors really tighten up the structure, keeping the rattles from getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      Subframe connectors really tighten up the structure, keeping the rattles from getting worse.
      I appologize. If I could figure out how to get the stuff I have done to the car listed like everyone else, it would probably help alot. The TA already has subframe connectors on it.

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
        I appologize. If I could figure out how to get the stuff I have done to the car listed like everyone else, it would probably help alot. The TA already has subframe connectors on it.
        Go up to the top, select "quick links" then "edit signature"

If you already have the SFCs, then all you can do is address each noise at as appears. As rubber gets old and stiff it can make noise. Keep it protected with a good quality rubber treatment. Working some pertoleum jelly into the rubber is a easy way to keep it moist. Make sure the latch on the rear hatch is adjusted corectly, make sure the spare tire and jack are properly stowed. The t-tops can be adjusted as well to make them tighter and less prone to make noises. Windows can begin to rattle if they get out of adjustment or the rubber seals dry out. parts inside the dash can loosen up and make noise. All you can do is take it apart and carefully look for the sources of the noises.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
          Go up to the top, select "quick links" then "edit signature"

If you already have the SFCs, then all you can do is address each noise at as appears. As rubber gets old and stiff it can make noise. Keep it protected with a good quality rubber treatment. Working some pertoleum jelly into the rubber is a easy way to keep it moist. Make sure the latch on the rear hatch is adjusted corectly, make sure the spare tire and jack are properly stowed. The t-tops can be adjusted as well to make them tighter and less prone to make noises. Windows can begin to rattle if they get out of adjustment or the rubber seals dry out. parts inside the dash can loosen up and make noise. All you can do is take it apart and carefully look for the sources of the noises.
          Awsome, thanks for the help!

Comment

Check the spare tire and jack to see if it is tight. Mine started rattling at one time.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Another thot. Does it sound like it's coming from the right rear? especially in colder weather, and especially when that side of the suspension is flexing (like in and out of a driveway or something like that?

The f-body's are notorious for this. My ragtop has done this since day one. I think in the past some have suggested different bushings in the rear suspension help. Might give that a thot.
              2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
                Another thot. Does it sound like it's coming from the right rear? especially in colder weather, and especially when that side of the suspension is flexing (like in and out of a driveway or something like that?

The f-body's are notorious for this. My ragtop has done this since day one. I think in the past some have suggested different bushings in the rear suspension help. Might give that a thot.
                As of right now the noises only occur down bumpy roads. But I will keep this in mind when and if it does occur from that region of my car.

Comment

Working...
                X