01-02 Clutch Hydraulics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01-02 Clutch Hydraulics

Was the master cylinder upgraded along with the slave for the 01-02 model years?

I got my slave replaced with an 01-02 slave when I had a new clutch installed. After a couple bleeding sessions I still have a soft pedal on cold mornings. The first inch of travel is very soft. I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad master too or if upgrading it along with the drill mod would help.

Any "been there, done that's"???
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Hey Joe, Have you done the "Drill Mod" to the master cylinder?
    Try that. I mean mine was the other way around and mine was super hard, So I did this mod and eased up. So what is it doing? is it that it just simply feels way to soft or is it still catching? A littl more detail? I just did my clutch too so I kinda have some hands on insight on this issue.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Well the pedal feels one of two ways. It'll get extremely soft through the whole throw in very cold weather. Or there is very little resistance in the first inch of travel. Then it firms up immediately and feels more or less normal through the rest of the pedal travel. I haven't had a problem with clutch engagement or disengagement.

There was an improvement once I had the original slave replaced. Before that the pedal was soft and the clutch didn't engage till almost at the bottom of travel.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Interesting. I mean I figure if its engaging correct it should be fine. I always pump the clutch 1-4 times Right when I get in the car and It seems fine. I dont get that super soft pedal your talking about so I dont know. Hmm.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

WOOHOO!!

Fixed...finally!!! I had a new master cylinder installed and the problem is now solved! I was dancing in my seat the whole way home! The clutch is now smooth as a baby's bottom, but engagement is firm and pedal effort is the same throughout the throw. Slackness is gone now!
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Thats good to hear. Had a feeling it might have been that.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Such a relief. I had two shops tell me it was "normal". I talked with some guys at F-body Central. They didn't see a problem with it...Just looked at me like I was from Mars. I don't want to knock on the F-bod Central guys too much but I feel vindicated now. It's nice.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD

Comment

Working...
              X