No announcement yet.

Talon vs Firebird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always liked the turbo DSMs (eclipse/talon) I was even considering one before I bought my F-Bod. They are quick stock, get good mileage, available AWD, can be made fast for not too much $$. They are no match for an LT1 stock stock though. The 2nd gens have 210 hp and 214 ft lbs and weigh 3000 lbs. I know the first gens ran about 15.5 stock and 0-60 in 6.6. The second gens aren't really quicker since they are heavier by about 300 lbs even though they have about 10 extra hp. Now dump $600-1000 into it and they get pretty powerful but that's when the tranny's start breaking. This is one reason I chose not to get one. Also the only Turbos I could find were FWD (YUCK! Where's the traction? Aaarrgh Torque steer) Once you are around 300hp you're gonna start breaking tranny's and diffs if you launch hard and that gets expensive real quick. If you don't go too radical I think these cars a very good bang for the buck just aren't gonna compete with an LT1 or LS1 stock except for right out of the hole because of the AWD. The LT1 will quickly catch up and pass the DSM. They are cool cars though and I don't consider them rice, at least untill someone bodykits and stickers the heck out of them Just my thoughts on the subject...............Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Hey man

Ya, you're right... Those 7k launches don't do real well for the clutch hahaha. I've done a few, and it MOVES! The thing I like about these cars like mentioned above is the decent gas milleage and AWD... Not to mention, these things handle like theres no tomorrow, at least my STI does... I really miss my f-bod, but these things are VERY potent if you underestimate what "MIGHT" be done under the hood Just keep that in mind my f-buds
      One SWEET 02 GAGT w/ tons of mods!

Comment

Hey Jeff!

Dont the STI's pump out 18#'s of boost stock? How many #'s are you gonna be at after the Turbo Swap? Thats a whole lot of boost!
        1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Good gas milage? hahahahaaa... Stock, yeh... My 95 with a 16g turbo, and the walbro 255 pump, and 18psi of boost got like 200 miles to a full tank! Like 15mpg or something like that!

And I had an ACT 2600# clutch in it, and I can launch at 4500 and spin all 4 for a second.. Never broke anything luckily.

I love that car, and I WILL get another one soon.

http://www.cousinlarry.com for pics and a vid or two.
          99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Due to attrition of my original friends to wives, houses & the like sucking the blood & life out of them, I have fallen in with a younger crowd most of who drive imports - but not rice. One just sold his Eclipse, which ran low 12s - he had a ton of money in it. Another has a souped up 3000GT which went 11.3 and should go mid 10s if everything goes right - but, it just shattered the transfer case. Another got an STI all souped up, and although I hate the body style all to h___, I have to say he did a very nice job and the car is scary fast. There's rice, then there's some really fast imports - you gotta give them credit when they build a good one.

I say race the Talon and see what happens. Racing rocks!

Comment

Wow sorry if I got something started. I should have gone into more detail before calling his car a ricer. He does have about 15 stickers of different mods that he doesn't have and its not exhaust work its just a muffler. He also doesn't know how to change the oil so i'm guessing he doesn't have a fish tank thing. I don't mean to offend anyone about talons I've ran against two at the drags that left me sitting on the line and no chance to catch up I'm just talking about the kind of cars with alot of stickers and a loud pipe.
              1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Jump on his A55. I got stomped by a 74 Beetle one time. I was driving a Camaro with a 427/435hp motor. I didn't know he had a twin turbo Porche motor in it . Sometimes you lose. But it's better to have raced and lost, than not raced at all. Besides, you can always do a couple of mods and come back tomorrow.

96 TA Sold!
                87 TA Sold!
                80 Z28 Sold!
                74 Formula Sold!
                73 Z28 Sold!
                69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
                  I got stomped by a 74 Beetle one time.
                  You guys probably knew that they were still making bugs in Mexico until a little while ago - Well they drag race them and a lot of them run 10 sec. My buddy once got a 1830 kit (the biggest you could go w/o stroking it I think) for his bug and got it balanced, etc. and it really was fast - the parts came from Mexico. He could race some of the Porches with that car. But parts fell off the bug all the time, and he spent hours cruising around trying to find them.

Comment

Working...
                  X