Drive Hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Hub

Okay so my abs has light has been coming on and off lately.

Just a few days ago I was driving and everything was okay (just had new UCA brushings, battery, new shifter, new brakes, new alternator), but when I stopped, I started to slow down, and it came to almost a complete stop.
    I was rolling at about 5 miles an hour, and my brakes disengaged and it kept rolling, then the Low Traction light came on and it started beeping at me. I now have to honk on the brake at this point to a stop. Its been doing this at every stop, and I almost bumped somebody yesterday.

When the ABS light desides to turn off, it doesn't do this.

Somebody who I am confident knows a good bit about cars stated that I need to replace the drive hub which controls the ABS and Traction Control because the sensor is faulty.

Anybody had this happen before??? Is a new drive hub in order??? What is a drive hub?!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Iceslim0

One more time..... need the year, model, engine info, and whether the car has ABS only, or ABS + TCS. Its really impossible to answer these questions without that basic info. Why not just add the info to your signature, so people don't have to divert to your cardomain site to figure out what kind of car you have?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Sorry. I have a 1994 LT1 Trans am with basic ABS, don't believe I have traction control.
      (I've always had problems with the control panel and I can't change my sig)

Comment

not related to this topic, but for your sig changing when the CP doesnt work. click on private messages. and it brings u to the inbox. then click edit signature and then it will work. after u click accept, if yours does the same as mine does, it will say there is database problems or something, but it will still work.
        2001 Trans Am WS6 6spd. K&N Filter. FloMaster Exhaust.

Comment

TCS was not available in 94, even though it was shown in the factory brochures. Your 94 has three ABS sensors. One in each of the front wheel hubs, and one on top of the differential housing. The sensors are magnetic coils and pick up a signal from a toothed "reluctor" gear, one in each hub and one bolted to the differential carrier.

The symptoms you are having are typical of a faulty sensor. The first one I would look at would be the one on the rear axle housing. Pull the sensor out of the top of the diff and clean it off. It may have metal particles adhering to it. When the adjustable sensor in my Strange 12-bolt came out of adjustment, it would do exactly what you are describing.... activate the ABS just as the car was coming to a stop, extending the stopping distance by about 10 feet.

Also check the harness connectors for each sensor, making sure they are clean, not corroded and not frayed, and making good contact. You can try blowing out the hubs to clean the sensors, but the sensors are permanently pressed in there, and can only be replaced by replacing the entire front wheel hub/bearing cartridge.

A GM shop, or a good brake shop with an OTC Tech-2 or one of the high end SnapOn scanners can scan the EBCM module and tell you which sensor is causing the problem, or what other part is causing the problem. You can't read the EBCM with a conventional PCM scanner.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Alright sounds good. I will check those sensors tonight and if nothing happens then I will try getting the special pcm check.

Do you know of a website that can point out the sensors or would it be in my haynes manual?

Comment

Working...
            X