Headers/emmisions system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers/emmisions system

On my 1989 TA when I put a set of headers on it, I did away with all of the emmisions stuff(smog pump, tubing,catalytic converters etc). My new TA is alot nicer and I'd like to keep that stuff all intact, plus this ECM is a little more sophisticated then my 89. My question is what headers are compatible with the emmisions system and how do I deal with the cats.
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Your exhuast manifold/header emission tract includes three major things.

1. Your O2 sensors, both up and down stream
    2. Your catalytic converters
    3. EGR (exhuast gas recirculation) system

Most headers, both mid and long tubes for the LS1 have bungs for the O2s and the EGR. If this is the case, they are very much legal. The cats are mounted to the "y" pipe that also incorporates the down stream O2s. Some Y pipes aren't street legal because of the relocation of the cats...they tend to have the disclaimer "off road use only".

The general consensus is run all your emission control systems. Sure, you can bypass your O2's with sims...do away with your cats...delete your EGR, but these items are on your vehicle for a reason...the power gains are minimal if any at all.

Any set of headers are better then the stock manifolds. Just be sure they incorporate all your emission controls and are coated. Spend the money to have coated headers...

I have Pacesetters...others are known to run SLP and Hooker...both are also very good headers. There are a slew of headers you can pick from...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
    X