NFB What car for my 17 yr old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB What car for my 17 yr old?

My daughter has her permit and it won't be long before she has her license.

I really want to find an old Caddy and take off 4 spark plug wires to give her a nice slow tank, but she won't go for that.

I want to get her an used American car, something that I can make the payments on (after my Bird is paid off).

It should be safe and relatively low maintenance. I was thinking about a Dodge Neon or something like that.

$5000 would be the upper limit.

Any recommendations?

(PS she won;t get it until shortly before graduation, so I have some time to look around.

My first car was a $100, 1963 Ford Falcon. That was my last Ford too!

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

I was 17 When I got my first car!

And it was infact my Current car, a 1996 Z28. And it wasnt one of those "My daddy and Mommy bought it for me" things either, I paid for it and my insurance by myself. But my dad did sign the contract so that I could make the payments.. Prior to that I use to drive my moms 91 Nissan Sentra. This car was really good to me! I always liked the 95 Ford Probe GT though and wanted one, even as a second car. They have a V6 and handle like theyre on rails. But Ive heard about realiability issues. I still would like one though, they run for about $4K. Hope this helps some.
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

My first car was an '84 Chevy Caprice. I had in '94 when I turned 16. It was great. Big and safe and had decent power with a 4 barrel 305. I loved it 'cause everyone else in high school had some tiny foreign car and I had a tank. Anyway, it was good because if you learn how to drive on a big car you will be able to drive anything. And I learned how to do donuts and powerslides in the winter

Andy
      '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
      339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
      '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

Go with an S-10 Blazer. Solid. Safe. Slow. Reliable. Plus, they can handle minor bumps without bruising. My $0.02

96 TA Sold!
        87 TA Sold!
        80 Z28 Sold!
        74 Formula Sold!
        73 Z28 Sold!
        69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Consider a small pickup truck. She might not like it but here are some reasons for it.
          1. She can only carry 1 person, 2 people max. State Farm did a study of teen drivers and their statistic shows that their chance of a wreck goes up something like 25% for having 1 other person in the car. 60% for 2 people , and 200% for 3 people.
          2. It's up a little higher and you can see a little better.
          3. More metal around than a sub compact.
          4. Kids move a lot when they are young and it will help with that. Like going off to college.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I've always suscribed to the "full frame theory". If you've got a nice full frame and lots of metal around you, its safer. I'd make her work for it too, they appreciate it much more and are less likely to take it for granted and do dumb things with the car.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

There was a nice 86 or so buick riviera in the local chevy lot here earleir this week. I saw it for the first time on Monday. I had been thinking that would be a nice 2nd car to beat up on. By Tuesday it was gone! They were asking $2900 if I remember.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

early 90's honda civic. I know it's not a domestic, but it works and is slow as a dog, but very reliable. And cheap.
                99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                  early 90's honda civic. I know it's not a domestic, but it works and is slow as a dog, but very reliable. And cheap.
                  i gotta go with jeff here... cause kids dont check oil..or anything...and the honda's run and run and run. and they are safer from a crash standpoint than most American cars in thier same class.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

yep, my girlfriend has a 94 or so, 150k miles or more maybe, does oil like every 20k, never had a problem with reliability ever.

And take it from me, it's slooooooow!
                    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      Consider a small pickup truck. She might not like it but here are some reasons for it.
                      1. She can only carry 1 person, 2 people max. State Farm did a study of teen drivers and their statistic shows that their chance of a wreck goes up something like 25% for having 1 other person in the car. 60% for 2 people , and 200% for 3 people.
                      2. It's up a little higher and you can see a little better.
                      3. More metal around than a sub compact.
                      4. Kids move a lot when they are young and it will help with that. Like going off to college.
                      I'd have to agree with this. Full frame, Hauls furniture, cant cart toooo many friends, not to fast, cheap. I do not believe in handouts though. She should have to pay for it. Insurance too, even if it is liability only. If you just give it to her she will not respect the hard work it requires to earn a car, and the will really hurt her work ethic and outlook on the meaning of a dollar.

Comment

About who pays for it...

I don't agree with the fact that the kid has to pay for something to appreciate it. I was fortunate enough to get a car from my parents (when needed for college, not in high school) and did not have to pay for it...but believe me I appreciated it.

My recomendation would be a Honda Accord. Every person I know that has a Honda has more than 100,000 on the clock, with no major problems ever coming up. The last one I sold to my friend had 190,000 miles on it, and he sold it to someone else a few years later with 230,000 on it. The tank is probably still running somewhere for someone. My nephew got 160,000 miles on the original clutch! They just build them right...

Good luck
                        Ruz

Comment

cars for daddys little girl

here are just a few suggestions on cars. I know they are imports but my friend has a 87 honda with 257,000 miles and all he has ever done was oil changes. He bought the car new in 87.
                          http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...or=&cardist=90

99 T/A WS-6
                          SLP strut tower brace, SLP sub-frame connectors, SLP intake, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, shift kit, SLP suspension system, SLP y-pipe
                          2004 Mineral Gray Mustang Mach1 (stock, but ordering the SLP Loudmouth)
                          88 IROC-Z, ZZ430 CRATE MOTOR, Flowmaster exhaust, MOSER 12-bolt with gears, and a few other mods.

Comment

I would definitely recommend NOT going with a Neon, at least not one of the earlier ones. When I was working at the used lot of the local Chevy dealership, just about every older Neon that was traded in leaked oil like a siv. Something to do with a faulty engine seal. My first car was an '83 Honda Accord I paid $600 of my hard earned money for. Thing ran like a champ but for a bad CV joint. So I think I agree with the other guys, a good used Honda would make a good first car for a teenager. The small truck idea sounds good too...

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Well... heres another thought...what about a fully restored classic thats not really a classic? I know that sounds weird but I mean something that fully restored sells for less then 5k? Ford Falcon is a good example Chevy nova.. Now I'm not talking boats... I am talking V-6 cars. The good point to this is the ease of fixing anything that should go wrong...and the inherant ability to upgrade the engine at a later point. I have often thought that if I ever have kids this is how I would go about it. I do agree that it should be more of a commitment then a gift. Paying something for it and being required to halp with maintaining it should definitely be priorities...but thats just me.

Comment

Working...
                              X