Strange Coolant Leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Coolant Leak

Happy New Year to everyone on the board!
    I hope everyone got a chance to spend time with family and friends and had an enjoyable holiday.

Over the holiday I had a strange coolant leak. Living in south Texas and having a garage my car rarely sees temperatures below freezing. However, after traveling much further north for Christmas, my car sat outside for a few days in below freezing conditions. When I started my car it ran very rough for a few seconds and emitted a cloud of rather dark exhaust. It then went back to normal. Being curious, I left the car running and popped the hood just to check everything and noticed I had a coolant leak. I could not tell where the leak was coming from but after a minute or two ended up with about an 8" pool of coolant on the driveway under the driver's side front end. I checked the level in the radiator and overflow but both looked OK. I drove the car on some errands and when I returned home the leak was gone. It hasn't come back. It also didn't drop below freezing again the rest of the time I was there. I have continued to monitor the levels which are fine and I have no cooling problems.

Anyone have an explanation for this one? Is it possible the cold caused one of the hoses to leak slightly and once things heated back up it fixed itself?

Scott
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

bump

Anyone have any ideas here?
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Do you run the correct % of anti-freeze to insure the coolant won't freeze up in extended exposure to cold weather?

Under what part of the driver's side engine did the puddle appear? Where was it leaking..... what area of the engine bay/engine? Did you feel the hoses for wetness?
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I run 50/50 mix of Dexcool and distilled water.

The puddle ended up under the drivers side end of the front sway bar which was wet with coolant. I never could tell exactly where the leak was coming from. There was a small amount of coolant on the top of the water pump (it had pooled in the machined areas where the bolts go) and it looked like some had dripped onto the belt as there was some spray on various other parts of the engine bay.

The radiator hoses were dry as much as I could tell as were the parts of the heater/other hoses that I could get my hands on without disassembling anything.
        My DD
        2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Wierd- being an LT1, I would have guessed the water pump weep hole, but, unless it was dripping on the belt, and getting flung, it wouldn't have gotten to the top of the water pump. Monitor that weep hole for a while, if it starts dripping, it goes right onto the opti- another great idea from GM- when your car starts running like crap, it is time for a water pump
          2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
          "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I hope not. Just did water pump (and new MSD opti cap) approx. 6 months ago.

I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.
            My DD
            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I would get a cooling system pressure test kit and pressurize the cooling system cold. Then you can crawl all over the engine without the heat associated with running the engine. Any leaks will show themselves under pressure.

Comment

Is the thermostat housing loose? That would explain water on top the pump. Check those 2 bolts and make sure they haven't loosened up.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                X