First 1/8 mile Times- Opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 1/8 mile Times- Opinion

Alright so I went last night and Made 2 runs. The First run was Dog Poop b/c I simply didnt get even an ok launch. So I line up again and I make The second run.
    R/T=1.04
    60'= 2.44
    1/8 = 9.024
    MPH=82.19

For being pretty much stock, its alright but I know the problem is Traction if Im not mistaken. I was running Stock tires. 245's at 25 psi. I did feel them slip off the line and they would break loose Into Second and chipped pretty loud into third. So What do u guys/gals think? Some re-location Brackets? and some Drag Radiels? I plan to get some new rims and tired so Should I just use my stockers with some 285 BFG Drag redials? I dont plan to do to much more than Bolt ons so that should be able to hold me down dont ya think?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

your 60 footer is def. up there. I'm sure if you can get some traction your times will drop a lot.

For comparison, my stock LT1 ran 2.01....then 2.03 when modded slightly(only one run though), in 60'.

Of course all that smog, and lack of oxygen from living in L.A. might have something to do with it
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Thats for Sure, But Last night was pretty Cold and Windy so the smog was not All that bad. Pretty Fresh Air was Coming down from the Sierra's. Yeah I should be Able to Pull a 2 second Flat 60'. So Yeah Suspension is on its way, a 1.5" drop, and RLB. Then in about 2 months the Sub-Frame Connectors. If I have the Drag Radiels then I should be able to maybe even drop it slightly under the 2's. But thats with a really hard Launch dumping the clutch pretty High on the Hot Sticky Tires.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

What elevation did you run at? What was the temp, humidity and barometer?

That's the equivalent of a 14.0 @ 103MPH. Get the 60-ft down and its under 13.5 in the 1/4 mile. Lowering the car is not the way to improve traction on the drag strip, though.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

60'

Your mph indicates you are in the norm for speed and hp. Your ET is suffering due to poor traction, starting line technique or both. You should be running 8.6-8.7 in the 1/8th which converts to 13.3-13.5 in the 1/4.
          This seems to be normal for LS cars depending on altitude, temp, humidity, which can vary the times substantially.
          Some drag radials would be a big help as they dropped my 60' from a best of 2.18, (and as high as 2.50), to a consistent 2.01-2.09.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            What elevation did you run at? What was the temp, humidity and barometer?

That's the equivalent of a 14.0 @ 103MPH. Get the 60-ft down and its under 13.5 in the 1/4 mile. Lowering the car is not the way to improve traction on the drag strip, though.
            Thank You. The Temp. Was around 55 degress. As for the Barometer im not to sure and the humidity was around 34%. The Elevation is rather low. Its well under 1000 feet. Yeah I know lowering the car wont help with traction, but thats why I need to get the Relocation brackets before I lower it. I might ask my brother to let me barrow his 315 Nitto Drags but I feel thats a little Over kill. The Quarter Mile is open this Sunday. So is it worth me trying it.

Originally posted by Dave Vince
            Your mph indicates you are in the norm for speed and hp. Your ET is suffering due to poor traction, starting line technique or both.
            As for the Traction or Technique, its for sure Traction. I was doing alright and was Launching pretty good, but anything more and I would slip even more so I had to easy off. I had to peddle threw first, Semi Peddle it when Im slamming in second and WOT all threw 3rd. I mean It felt like it was about to break free when I shifted into 2nd so that shows it was Traction.

Is it worth Trying it at the Quarter with the 17 inch Nitto Drags? Or will that Some what slow me down?
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite

Is it worth Trying it at the Quarter with the 17 inch Nitto Drags? Or will that Some what slow me down?
              Sure is. The idea is that the sooner you get to the finish line the better. I would certainly rather run 13.50@102 then 14.0@103. You *may* lose 1 mph due to increase rotating weight, you may not. You will most certainly carve several tenths off your ET which is what you want. In a sense, ET is a function of traction and trap speed is a function of HP.

Comment

You Got a point Joe. You know what, Yeah I'll try it. Im going to ask my brusky for his tires. Is it worth Taking out the rear seats For weight savings?
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                  Is it worth Taking out the rear seats For weight savings?
                  I've had mine out since the first year I got my car. It's never been an issue. In fact, it gives me a lot more room to put my things for school, martial arts, whatever. If you don't have friends in your car very often, it won't be an issue. Mine weighed in at 25lbs total.
                  Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                  SOLD- Kinda miss it
                  94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                  SOLD- Good riddance!
                  2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
                    I've had mine out since the first year I got my car. It's never been an issue. In fact, it gives me a lot more room to put my things for school, martial arts, whatever. If you don't have friends in your car very often, it won't be an issue. Mine weighed in at 25lbs total.
                    Naw Living In L.A. we are always doing something and the chance that me and a buddy are out at a bar and we meet females there, Good Possibility.. ha ha ha. No But on the real note, for 25 pounds I'd rather leave them in and save myself the 30 minutes of work that I wont see pay off at the track. I dont carry many things in my car besides 12 packs and jackets so. When I had the Beast (My honda) it was a difference Considering when I would Gut the thing I was able to get it under 2000 pounds with no driver. that was with just the driver seat, no door panels, no carpet, Im talking about nothing.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Weight

In theory every 100 lbs of weight is worth .1 in the 1/8th and even more in the 1/4. If this is correct 25 lbs is worth .025 seconds. Is it worth the work?
                      I have had trouble proving this theory as I took 400 lbs out of a car and saw about one tenth of a second improvement. I don't know why. I took a drivetrain out of one car put it in an 800 lb. lighter car and picked up a full second in the 1/8th. Drivetrain rotating weight is worth twice its weight over static. We changed drive rims to save 20 lbs and picked up almost 1/2 a tenth.

Comment

Working...
                      X