Crazy headlights??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy headlights??

O.K., I just got out of work, get in my T/A, turn the headlights on, and all of a sudden like something "blew", they go out. Now I always keep the fog lights on too, and they went out as well. Interior light stayed on, but the fog light switch indicator light went out too.
    Next weird thing-as soon as this happened, my high beam (little blue light) indicator came on, so I pulled back on the lever to turn it off and *voila*, the headlights and fog lights returned. Also, I can't get rid of the high beam indicator light, it always stays on. So everytime I pull back on the turn signal lever now, I can turn the headlights on/off.
    What is goin' on here, guys??
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

It sounds like something is going on with your high beams. You might try checking all the fuses and if that fails, go through the circuits.
    Greg W. in West Michigan
    1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
    1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
    1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
    1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
    1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
    <Motor out

Comment

Today we checked all possible headlight related fuses, everything is fine. I wonder if the turn signal lever is wore out, but it seems to work fine and my actual turn signals work alright. It's so weird! When I pull back on the turn sig. lever for high beams, only my headlight and fog lights go out, but all other lights (taillights, parking) stay on. Not to mention the high beam indicator light stays on all the time now if I turn the lights on. I almost wonder if there was a short in the wiring in there *somewhere*. Who knows, and I don't know how to figure this one out w/o someone else having the same experience or just tearing everything apart in there. Yay!
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Comment

Maybe one of your high beam lights is bad or something in that circuit is bad.
        1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
          Maybe one of your high beam lights is bad or something in that circuit is bad.
          Yeah, I guess replacing the low/high beam headlights would be cheaper than tearing everything else apart I just don't know how that would relate to both headlights AND fog lights goin' out.

Comment

Try swapping out the relay for the low beam with something that is known to be good like the A/C relay.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Hmmm....

There are a couple possibilities. The headlight switch itself contains a bi-metalic strip that can fail, causing an interuption of the lights themselves. Your low beams and the foglights are on the same circuit, that's why the foglights went out when the low beams went off. However, the fact that the high beam switch turned on the high beams is a good sign, the fact that the low beams came on when you switched off the high beams is a good sign that the main light switch isn't bad...........well maybe that's not a good sign. The dashboard switch is an easier fix. The blue high beam indicator staying on leads me to believe that.........My best guess without hands on would be that your high beam switch is going south. It's located 2/3 of the way down the steering column on the topside, requiring the bottom panel to be removed and the steering column to be dropped down in order to gain access. It's about a 2 hour job to remove the panel, unbolt the column and drop it down, plus replace the switch and button everything back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Hmmm....

There are a couple possibilities. The headlight switch itself contains a bi-metalic strip that can fail, causing an interuption of the lights themselves. Your low beams and the foglights are on the same circuit, that's why the foglights went out when the low beams went off. However, the fact that the high beam switch turned on the high beams is a good sign, the fact that the low beams came on when you switched off the high beams is a good sign that the main light switch isn't bad...........well maybe that's not a good sign. The dashboard switch is an easier fix. The blue high beam indicator staying on leads me to believe that.........My best guess without hands on would be that your high beam switch is going south. It's located 2/3 of the way down the steering column on the topside, requiring the bottom panel to be removed and the steering column to be dropped down in order to gain access. It's about a 2 hour job to remove the panel, unbolt the column and drop it down, plus replace the switch and button everything back together.
                O.K. The high beam switch is a very good possibility. The only thing is that you mentioned, I don't actually get high beams at all. Let's say, when I pull the switch like if I want high beams ON, that's when my headlights/foglights are completely going out. When I pull the switch again like if I wanted high beams OFF, that's when my lights return.
                I just got back from FBody Motorsports, they let me take a headlight switch to see if that was it. Nope. Same problemo. So I can rule out the actual switch. We checked the grounds for the headlights, they're fine. They also mentioned the body control module? But he thought the car should have more "craziness" if it were that. ?? Maybe that high beam switch then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  Try swapping out the relay for the low beam with something that is known to be good like the A/C relay.
                  Where is a relay for the "low" beams? I didn't see one under the hood where the relays are located.

Comment

I thought there was one in the under hood box. I was just thinking like Joe said the power for the fog lights come from the low beam relay. If the relay wasn't working then the fog lights wouldn't come on either. Yea it doesn't make much sense that it could be the problem but it is a $0 check for the relays and it's easy to do. All of the relays are the same so they are easy to swap around.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if the high beam switch is broken. Here is the location of it courtesy of Rob.

Comment

Thanks for that info! Ooooo...doesn't look like "I" am going to dig in there Is there any other way to "test" if that switch is broken, or is it just one of those things you just have to go in and find out? Hubby's gonna like this one

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                          I thought there was one in the under hood box. I was just thinking like Joe said the power for the fog lights come from the low beam relay. If the relay wasn't working then the fog lights wouldn't come on either. Yea it doesn't make much sense that it could be the problem but it is a $0 check for the relays and it's easy to do. All of the relays are the same so they are easy to swap around.
                          Yup. I like to try $0 fixes first.

Comment

I can't remember if you can get to it or not but if you can unplug the switch you can jumper it.

Comment

Originally posted by 'STANGETR
                              Thanks for that info! Ooooo...doesn't look like "I" am going to dig in there Is there any other way to "test" if that switch is broken, or is it just one of those things you just have to go in and find out? Hubby's gonna like this one
                              A digital volt meter or test probe with a light should be used to check if power is present at physical lights first, also at the relax box before tearing into where the high beam switch resides.

Comment

Working...
                              X