chassis compatibility and front end conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chassis compatibility and front end conversion

ok, i ve got a 99 Z28 that is crashed in the front, the front chassis legs or rails are bent , in front of the wheels, together with the radiator support frame. I have been quoted around $3000 for the work to put it in the jig and replace the chassis legs , if i get the parts.
    Now i have found the front end of a 2000 v6 firebird with all the body panels for $1000. The guy said they will cut the car in half and i can have the front. And i could do a front end conversion on the 95 formula

Is it difficult to replace the chassis legs , are they the same on v6 and v8 s , camaros and firebirds? Is there any point trying to fix the camaro or should i just sell the engine?
    How much would the front end of an late model f-body cost in the usa?

This is pretty urgent cause i have to make a decision , so please tell me what you think!
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

So from the cut off of the 00 firebird you are just go to use the structural parts?

Comment

AFAIK, the basic frame is the same on all Camaros and Firebirds.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Thanks Rob,

I ll probably buy the front end and use the structural parts to fix the camaro, and i ll swap the body panels with the ones on the formula..even though i like the look of the 93 97 formula front end a bit more, just for a change

Any ides how the front rails are connected to the rest of the chassis, in the manual it says they are easy accesible from under the car , but nothing about the way they are fixed, and has the engine got to come out when i replace one of the chassis rails?
        93 t/a A4 3.23s
        95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
        93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

On the 93-97 cars the V6 K-member is a different shape than the V8. They have to be swapped when people put a V8 in a V6 car. I suspect it would be the same on the 98 and up cars, since the LS1 has an unusual "platform" type motor mount between the engine and the K-member. You need to find out the 99-V8 and 00-V6 K-members are the same.

The V6 springs may have a different spring rate, although the aluminum LS1 V8 probably isn't a lot heavier than the cast iron V6.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the info Fred,
            The k member on my camaro is not damaged, suspension parts look ok, front wheels off centered because the sway bar which is mounted on the chassis rail has moved about 5 inches to the left, but they were ok after i unbolted the sway bar off the rails.
            I am pretty much sure the steering gear is different on v6 s, but i have a spare v8 one in case the one on the camaro got damaged.

I think i ll have to take the engine out so they can do the jig work at the bodyshop. Is it difficult to take the ls1 out of the car?
            93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Just drop the whole thing out the bottom. Leave everything connected to k-member, suspension and everything. Take and jack the car up in the air as high as you can get it. Then loosen the struts and k-member. Support k-mem with jack(s). I used an enginge hoist to lift the front of my car up so I could roll the drivetrain out. Its really not as complicated as it looks.

Comment

If you're going to have the front subframe realigned, they might want the K-member and the front suspension on the car, requiring that the engine be pulled from the top. Check with the body shop.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The frame work could be done with or without the k member. It will have to be measured either with lasers or precision gauges. The best thing to do would be to drop the engine/k member and bring the k with the car. The suspension components aren't really needed. I would still contact the body shop and make sure that is what they want. They may do things different over there.
                  Greg W. in West Michigan
                  1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                  1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                  1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                  1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                  1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                  <Motor out

Comment

ok, i have stripped the body panels headlights and part of the suspension today. I ve got to go back and get the frame, the front half of the car..i ll tell them to cut it just behind the front seats.
                    I got the new style taillights too, an a few other bits and pieces. Cost about $1000 for everything, not too bad i think.

I ll be busy over the next few weeks trying to sort out the camaro and doing the front end conversion.
                    Thanks all for the input!
                    93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Working...
                    X