Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

99-2000 v6 , was slimited slip standard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99-2000 v6 , was slimited slip standard?

Did the limited slip differential come standard on 99 2000 v6 firebirds, how can i check what kind of differential it has got? rpo codes?

Also is the automatic transmission the same in v6 s as in the v8 s?
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

I believe LSD was an option those years. RPO G80.

The bolt pattern on the transmission is different from V6 to V8.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks, that helps a lot, tomorrow i was going to pick up the transmission too as a spare, and i ll check for G80, and if it s there i ll get the differential.
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc

Comment

Limited slip was only offered in Y87 code on V6 cars and 3.42 gears.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

i checked the diff, and when i turned one wheel , the other would turn the other way, so i guess its not limited slip..am i right?
          93 t/a A4 3.23s

Comment

Originally posted by Trans Am
            i checked the diff, and when i turned one wheel , the other would turn the other way, so i guess its not limited slip..am i right?
            It might still be. What your talking about is Possy track (not sure how u spell it). If im not mistaken the Limited slip locks up only under extreme Load and acts like a normal Diff. when going around turns. Thats about the only difference.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

posi traction IS a limited slip differential i believe. And yes, the two wheel wonders were offered under the RPO code y87. Y87 was a upgraded rear-end ratio, a upgraded steering ratio, and daul exhaust outlets. I owned a 97 camaro Y87 V6, it was a 5 speed and had a 3.23 gear ratio
              1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Johnyd2
                posi traction IS a limited slip differential I believe.
                I believe the difference is that in a Posi Traction diff. the 2 wheels will always spin at the same speed i.e. this is great for a Drag cars or Off-roading Application were you need the same amount of spin full time. With a LSD you have the best of both world, You have the Posi characteristics when Applying major power but still are able to go about turns without that weird wheel lock up and Tires wear you get with A Posi. I think that right. The has aLSD Spring pack and Clucthes. Some work with worm gears.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

"PosiTraction" was the trademark used by Chevrolet for their limited slip differential. Pontiac called it Safe-T-Trac. PosiTraction is a limited slip unit. There is no "difference".
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                  X