Installing Headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Headers

I Was thinking about getting a set of headers for my 94 T/A and anyone that has put them in or has had them put in how hard is it... or how long does it take normally to put them in... and recommend any type?

I'm not sure how different the process for the LT1 is.. but it took me about 8 hours on my '02 WS6. I had 3 or 4 buds helping out.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Many years ago, I put a set of JBA headers on my 94 Formula. I have a very detailed install procedure on my website:

Tech Articles and How To's

I personally would not recommend the JBA's..... unless you plan to leave the engine relatively stock. They are a 1-5/8" "step design" which means the first couple inches of the primaries are only 1-1/2". They will strangle a modified engine.

Good alternatives would be the 1-5/8" designs from SLP or the 1-3/4" from AS&M. Or... go hog wild and look at a set of "long tubes" from Hooker, Jet-Hot, FLP, etc. Depends on how far you plan to go with modifiying the engine.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

either way your outta luck. putting headers on a camaro, t/a, or formula is a pain in the a$$. i put slp shorties on my 96 z and i ended up dropping the engine cradle to do it. ohh yes it's true, it sucks... if i had to do it again i would have done the entire exhaust with hooker long tubes and a new set of cats with custom pipes to the rear........ maybe someday

Comment

Headers

I put SLP 1-75" headers & Y-pipe on my 88' IROC in less than 4 hours by myself then towed it to a muffler shop to have the cat welded in for 50 bucks. Not sure why it's so difficult on a T/A.

Comment

Raul, if you get a chance, take a look at a 4th gen. engine bay. Then you'll see why they are a lot harder to do than on your 3rd gen. Believe me, I'm glad I did mine with the motor out of the car.

Andy
            '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
            339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
            '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

The 4th gen header install is difficult. But not impossible. When I did mine, I was doing several other mods - plugs, wires, Electromotive Opti-Eliminitor/SDI - so I can't say exactly how many hours were spent on the headers alone, but it wasn't an irrational number of hours. I know when I was done, I was extremely surprised that I hadn't even managed to bust my knuckles or draw blood. I did everything completely by myself, with the car on jack stand in my garage.

A 93-95 single cat setup should be easier to install than a 96/97 dual cat install. The dual cat models are much harder from what I have seen.... or at least from the cursing I have heard.... .
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

When you installed yours did you pull the motor... or remove anything

Comment

Working...
                X