Best Performance springs For the Least $$$

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Performance springs For the Least $$$

Im looking to Buy some Springs for my car. I looking for about a 1" - 1.5" drop Front and Rear. What is the best Spring for the Buck. Looking to spend around $150-$350. Something that rides good, not Extremely hard but pretty aggresive. I was looking at the "Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Spring Sets." Are these worth it or is there a better spring? Are the"Hotchkis Lowering Coil Springs" better?? Which ones are more aggresive?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Here is the best thing you could ever find on springs.
    http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8782
    It's very subjective as to what is better or worst. Shocks can effect the ride as much as springs can as far as firmness is concerned. Check out the spring rates on that thread and make your own call. I have the BMRs
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      Here is the best thing you could ever find on springs.
      http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8782
      It's very subjective as to what is better or worst. Shocks can effect the ride as much as springs can as far as firmness is concerned. Check out the spring rates on that thread and make your own call. I have the BMRs
      This is good info for me, too, since I just got a '00 BC4 and am setting it up for autocross. I take it the BC4 pkg has the 1LE suspension? I have done coil overs on other cars so am contemplating doing that in this f-body plus camber plates.

Comment

Originally posted by moartork
        This is good info for me, too, since I just got a '00 BC4 and am setting it up for autocross. I take it the BC4 pkg has the 1LE suspension? I have done coil overs on other cars so am contemplating doing that in this f-body plus camber plates.

First, to my knowledge, the B4C did not come with the 1LE suspension. Second, you cannot use camber plates on the car. Third, for autocrossing, your better off leaving the springs alone and focusing on the shocks, control arms, and panhard bar.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Something that should be kept in mind when you choose springs. What is your intended use? Street, street/strip, autocross? Tire and wheel weight directly affects the effectiveness on the the springs and shocks. The lighter the rolling assembly, the better the springs and shocks can control movement. So keep in mind that a heavy wheel and tire will exert more force on the springs and shocks.

I happen to choose Intrax 2" lowering springs as the car was going to be driven on the street. I've ridden in cars with brand "E" springs and they rode like a UPS delivery truck. Intrax gives an OEM type of ride quality until you start pushing it, then they resist compression like the race type springs. I'm glad I made that choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Something that should be kept in mind when you choose springs. What is your intended use? Street, street/strip, autocross? Tire and wheel weight directly affects the effectiveness on the the springs and shocks. The lighter the rolling assembly, the better the springs and shocks can control movement. So keep in mind that a heavy wheel and tire will exert more force on the springs and shocks.
            My car is going to be more for AutoCross and some Drag racing. I want the car to handle like an F1. Thats what I want, but this is my Daily driver so I dont want it to be killer on my Body. Are the EiBach's any good for that? My brother is running those on his Z28 but I forgot how they feel considering the engine has been out of the car about a year now.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

You can't have it handle like an F1 and not be hard on your body.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                You can't have it handle like an F1 and not be hard on your body.
                Bingo. Each part contributes to an increase in noise and stiffness. Solid suspension bushings for example. Much improved deflection and overall stiffness but every vibration and jolt is transmitted directly to the chassis and your butt.

Handling is all relative. As an example, my 94 Camaro with a 3.4 and 5 speed out handles most any other car. Why? Ligher weight and a great combination of 1LE 32mm front swaybar and 21mm rear swaybar, KYB shocks, stock springs and 285/40/17 firehawks on Borbet 17x9.5 lightweight wheels. The car is a corner carver with excellent balance. It's not lowered, the suspension works.

If you don't want it hard on your body, then monster sway bars with good shocks and sticky tires are the key. There are advantages to springs, decreased ride height is the biggest benefit at the cost of comfort when it comes to needing to drive on the street. On the track, the variables are different and ride quality isn't important.

My personal opinion is that Eibachs bite on the street. They make the car ride like trash.

to make matters worse, what works for drag racing doesn't usually work for autocross and visa versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  Bingo. Each part contributes to an increase in noise and stiffness. Solid suspension bushings for example. Much improved deflection and overall stiffness but every vibration and jolt is transmitted directly to the chassis and your butt.

Handling is all relative. As an example, my 94 Camaro with a 3.4 and 5 speed out handles most any other car. Why? Ligher weight and a great combination of 1LE 32mm front swaybar and 21mm rear swaybar, KYB shocks, stock springs and 285/40/17 firehawks on Borbet 17x9.5 lightweight wheels. The car is a corner carver with excellent balance. It's not lowered, the suspension works.

If you don't want it hard on your body, then monster sway bars with good shocks and sticky tires are the key. There are advantages to springs, decreased ride height is the biggest benefit at the cost of comfort when it comes to needing to drive on the street. On the track, the variables are different and ride quality isn't important.

My personal opinion is that Eibachs bite on the street. They make the car ride like trash.

to make matters worse, what works for drag racing doesn't usually work for autocross and visa versa.
                  Ah. I see Said the blind man. Ok so lets just go this Route. Regardless of ride quality, Whats the best Handling Springs for My Price Range. Im eventually going to get the 1LE Front and rear Sway Bars but for now, what springs Should I go For under $350? EiBach's out the window.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
                    First, to my knowledge, the B4C did not come with the 1LE suspension. Second, you cannot use camber plates on the car. Third, for autocrossing, your better off leaving the springs alone and focusing on the shocks, control arms, and panhard bar.
                    I've done some searching to see what the B4C package consists of with no luck yet. Hmm, as a first step, I'll pull the rear spring insulator and drop the front perch on, um, Koni SA? I do not care about ride quality on the street.

I am partial to Bilstein and understand Sam Strano produces revalved shocks.

Comment

Working...
                    X