383 valve cover breather question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 383 valve cover breather question

I have about 1000 miles on the 383 now and all is going good.I am running about 8 psi boost on it.I was checking everything out and i am getting some light oil into the intake tract.My pcv system is stock from the hose under the throttle body back to the side of the intake,i have a breather in each valve cover,The hose on the passenger side valve cover runs down to the intake side tube before the supercharger, i have the throttle body port capped off.This setup works fine but i was thinking about trying a filter or seperator inline on the hose from the passenger side valve cover to prevent any oil from getting into the intake.Ive read alot and found people recommend fram ba6592,purolator b23165,or deutsch b412.I just thought id get some opinions about this before i did anything.Ive also seen folks with blowers use a seperator from an air compressor but if the above filters will do the job that would be great.
    95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

I'm running an ATI system all that I did was just reroute the PCV tubes to down the driver's side fender well and dumped them just under the engine crossmember to the ground. I didn't mess with the separators. If you don't mind me asking have you had your car on the dyno yet if so what number's did you put down.
    '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
    '00 T/A Silver
    '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

I am running a powerdyne blower which is lacking in the cfm department.It was good for the stock engine but it can give the motor enough air now .I am soo ready to upgrade to a procharger but im broke so ill have to stay with what i have for now.On a mustang dyno i put down 432 rwhp at 7psi boost with belt slip.The car is awesome to drive though,runs great.The tuner said that with a procharger at 7-8 psi i would gain 40-50 horsepower over the powerdyne.The engine was built for up to 15 psi boost so i cant wait to get a procharger and atleast run 12psi on it.You said you routed both pcv hoses down,i only have the one on the pass, side valve cover which i routed to the supercharger intake,i left the pcv on the intake stock,where did your other hose route from?
      95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Comment

the second PCV routed from the driver side intake the one that you're refering to that you left stock. my procharger kit had me reroute both of them. if you go procharger do it right and get D1-SC with twin high flow intercoolers. although i think you can't get the D1 with out getting the twin intercoolers. i have the P1-sc with around 13-15 psi on my 383. well i just have the 8 psi pulley on it for now until i get the break in miles done then i switch to the smaller pulley and bigger injectors. i've been told that i should see around 600-650 whp. but i also built my 383 pretty radical i don't know how far you took yours.
        '00 T/A Silver

Comment

The engine i have is supposed to put down about 600 rwhp with 12-15psi boost with a vortech or procharger so i cant wait to get a good blower on the motor.The pcv on the intake,did you cap off the port at the frt and run the hose from the pcv down to the intake tube? or vice versa.I guess you no longer have a pcv valve anymore with that setup.Ive read it both ways and some people say levae the pcv /some say remove it.The powerdyne kit ony had me routed the pass. side valve cover down to the intake of the charger.I thought the little breather filter might work ok as long as it didnt restrict crankcae venting.I think my venting is adequate but i would like to keep everything clean if possible.Does your car vent any oil out that you can tell?

Comment

Originally posted by 95 GA/TA
            The pcv on the intake,did you cap off the port at the frt and run the hose from the pcv down to the intake tube? or vice versa.Does your car vent any oil out that you can tell?
            i caped off the inlet under the t/b and left the pcv in the intake and rerouted the hose down the the ground. honestly i haven't had it vented like that for long enough to notice anything yet. it shouldn't be too bad though. especially on a new engine as long as your rings are seated. nothin hurts tryin if you don't like it go back and put the inline seperator in. that's what i would do. good luck on the blower situation.
            '00 T/A Silver

Comment

Originally posted by strkt_&_blwn
              i caped off the inlet under the t/b and left the pcv in the intake and rerouted the hose down the the ground. honestly i haven't had it vented like that for long enough to notice anything yet. it shouldn't be too bad though. especially on a new engine as long as your rings are seated. nothin hurts tryin if you don't like it go back and put the inline seperator in. that's what i would do. good luck on the blower situation.
              Sounds like you removed the vacuum source hose from the front of the intake manifold, and the air supply line from the throttle body, and simply allowed them to hang under the engine near the K-member.

If that's what you did, you no longer have a Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. In doing that, you've eliminated a valuable function of the PCV system, and that's the provision of a cross-flow of clean air to sweep out blowby, potential condensation and harmful crankcase vapors that can contaminate your oil. The vacuum is the Positive part of the equation. Without that, there is nothing to clear out the crankcase, except any pressure that might build up due to blowby from the added boost.

Most blower setups I have seen remove the vacuum line from the front of the intake manifold (or the driver's side U-tube on the 93/94 models), and route it to the blower intake duct. That provides a constant source of suction to help pull the crap out of the crankcase. And that's the line where you need an oil separator to prevent oil from reaching the blower and the combustion chambers.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I guess I never went that in depth with it, but yes you're correct that's what I did. Although I am familar with a couple of other cars from around me doing this and not having any problems. I that just kind of a dumb luck thing? I definately see where you're coming from Injuneer, I realize it might be a wise decision to get a couple of separators and reroute.
                '00 T/A Silver

Comment

So it looks like you plug off the port in frt of the intake,run the line from the pcv down to the intake of the supercharger.Im also guessing that you should still run the hose from the passenger side valve cover down to the intake before the charger as well?Would it be possible to run a t fitting off of the vent line from the pcv to the vent line going to the intake already from the pass side valve cover?From what ive read it is ok to have the breathers in the valve covers on boosted motors.Is the way i have it now ok or could it cause me problems other than a little oil in the intake tract?I have read a ton on this and have seen it many different ways, i just want to be sure i do it the best possible way.Thanks for all the help on this,this site is great!!

Comment

If you run the line from the PCV valve to the blower intake (with an oil separator), you can remove the line from the throttle body to the valve cover. Add a breather to the valve cover, and put a vacuum cap on the throttle body connection.
                    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well i'll be changin that back soon, and getting a separator, and breather.
                      '00 T/A Silver

Comment

well i'll be changin that back soon, and getting a separator, and breather.
                        You should leave it the way you have it, but add the separator in the line going from the valve cover to the blower inlet as you mentioned. You can also add a check valve in the pcv line which runs from the side of the manifold to the front of the manifold to help the pcv seal off. This is a good system which a lot of blower cars use. Then just be sure to drain the separator once in a while or after runs at the track.

Some guys have been using a brake booster check valve, and it's been said that they are not very heavy duty or oil resistant, but they work OK for lower boost levels, and are inexpensive. It's cheap to try, anyway. I put mine right where the tube makes the 90 deg bend at the front of the manifold and it's been working great so far. I have no blowby or leaks, and the separator only gets a small amount of oil in it. I used to use breathers, but that was when I had the original engine with damaged pistons and it had blowby and oil leaks, but when I rebuilt the engine, all that went away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                          You should leave it the way you have it, but add the separator in the line going from the valve cover to the blower inlet as you mentioned...
                          I thought from his original post that he has neither the PCV vacuum line, or the passenger valve cover line connected to anything. They are hjust hanging open, down by the K-member. Does he really want to leave it that way, or did I read his original post wrong?
                          I'm running an ATI system all that I did was just reroute the PCV tubes to down the driver's side fender well and dumped them just under the engine crossmember to the ground.
                          Fred

Comment

no you read it right. i think it was just a miss communication.
                            '00 T/A Silver

Comment

no you read it right. i think it was just a miss communication.
                              Yep, my mistake guys, I was mixed up. He should route the valve cover fitting to the blower inlet with a separator in between. PCV to the front of the manifold, maybe with an extra check valve in it. There has been a lot of posts about this topic at CamaroZ28.com - a lot of info there about what has been found to work on a blower car. A lot of guys do run breathers, though - I'm glad I don't have one anymore because you could always smell it.

Comment

Working...
                              X