Brake Upgrades....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Upgrades....

Gotta 91GTA that finally needs the brakes replaced. Thinkin of Pure Performance crossdrilled rotors with a set of Willwood "D "compound pads. Anyone out there running a similar setup or something that works like a hot damn. It's not an autocrosser or nothin, just looking for better stops. Any opinions....

I kept the stock rotors, went with Hawk HPS pads, stainless steel brake lines and Super Blue racing brake fluid. It stops on a dime now, huge improvement.

Kevin Villier 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", T-Tops, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, BMR STB, chrome-moly panhard rod and LCA's, SLP SFC's, PPC LT's w/ RT hi-flo cats and hi-flo Y, TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads, TR224 cam, ASP pulley, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid, Holley Power-Shot filter, Mallory polished MAF ends, 4.10 gears.

Louisville, KY

SSOA F02-0186
    KY F-Bodies Unlimited

Comment

There are a number of options....How much do you want to spend? How much of a difference are you looking for?

Kevin's 2002 SS has MUCH better brakes than any pre-98 car. The dual piston front caliper's make a big differnece.

On your car....I don't think cross dirilled rotors are the way to go. Maybe if you were driving in extrememe racing situations you could use them. Otherwise the only real benefit is looks.
      Joe K.
      '11 BMW 328i
      '10 Matrix S AWD
      Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Kevin's 2002 SS has MUCH better brakes than any pre-98 car. The dual piston front caliper's make a big differnece. I'd love to have what he started with, but can't spend that kind of money.

On your car....I don't think cross dirilled rotors are the way to go. Maybe if you were driving in extrememe racing situations you could use them. Otherwise the only real benefit is looks.

I'm also looking for better stops. I've had a couple of close calls over the past 6 months. Here's what I'm planning:

-Better pads (Hawk are generally regarded as one of the best if not the best)
        -Replace rubber brake lines. Rubber hoses can only last so long and begin to degrade from the inside. You can't tell what condition it is in just by looking at it. Stainless weaved around the lines may help, but it's a little more money.

Start with this and see how it goes. I'm sure they have whole new braking systems available if you're prepared to spend well over $1,000.
        Joe K.
        '11 BMW 328i
        '10 Matrix S AWD
        Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
        X