Misfire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misfire

Ok what could be causing this? My number 4 cylinder is having a misfire and I need to check it. Where exactly is it located also? I've got the 3800 with 114K on it.

Likely a plug wire problem that the 3800s seem to have issues with. Middle cylinder on the passenger side. You can also trace it from the #4 terminal marked on the coil pack.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Thanks man, is there a way I can get to it without putting the car up in the air? Its just hard as my jack went missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Talon04
        Thanks man, is there a way I can get to it without putting the car up in the air? Its just hard as my jack went missing.
        Not for sure. I know you have to get underneath to get to some of the wires to change them out.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Yeah four is under the exhaust manifold so I'm going to have to put it up in the air. Thanks for the quick reply any idea on good replacement wires to buy and about pricing?

Comment

you can get all the wires off from the top, however when its time to get at those spark plugs, your gonna need to be creative. Some plugs need to come up from the top and others from the bottom. Also your coil packs will need to come out soon. Even though the coil pack runs two cylinders, doesnt mean it cant be missing on just one. On the other hand i had a number 2 cylinder misfire, on the scanner at autozone, however i know i was missing on more than that cylinder. The point im trying to make is that because of the location of the coil packs they tend to get heat soaked, and not function properly as they age. You can get two of them off fairly easily, but your going to have to pull the whole ICM off its engine mount in order to pull the last coil pack from the ICM. The last coil pack is under that windsheild lip. Its no big deal just a wire harness and some bolts. PM me if you have any more questions, i am by no means an expert, and there are a ton of more knowledgeable people on this site than me. On the flip side, i owned a 97 3800 camaro, and it had TONS of DIY problems. I might be some of assitance.
            1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Ok stop me if I'm totally off base here. Is it possible I just have a dirty injector thats blocking spray? It only misses during hard acceleration or occasionally at idle, otherwise it cruises like normal at 40 mph.

Comment

while it certainly is a possibility that it could be a fouled injector, id do the tune up anyway. Im sure someone will read the thread and tell you exactly how the fuel injection system works. To me, if a fuel injector is fouled, you will be missing no matter what load the engine is running. I'd put money on the ignition, i say that because even after i changed out tons of parts, it was the coil pack that had the car missing under various conditions and temps. I'd put my money in coils, plugs, and wires, look into a fuel filter too, these are all things that could make your car misfire. Even if i am wrong on this, with the mileage on your car, its a real good idea to have all that stuff changed anyway. Unless you find some injectors from the boards they are expensive$$$$$$. Mine as well change out the cheapr stuff first, and see if that solves your problem. Let us know how everything is coming along.

Comment

Well I changed out the wires today, still missing so I guess I'm doing the coil packs next.

Comment

That sucks. What wires did you use? From my expirence with the 3800's in FWD cars, OEM GM wires are the only ones that seem to hold up.
                    No F-Body right now

Comment

I went and got the Bosch ones from Autozone.

Comment

i used bosch wires and bosch platnium plugs... its a V6 so you do not need to go over board with super high conductive parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X