syncro repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• syncro repair

I messed up my 5th gear syncro and I took it to a shop for an estimate. They told me $680 labor and $500+ for parts. This does not seem right to me. I have read where there are shops online that will entirely rebuild a T56 for like $700. How hard is it to fix this problem by myself? Is a manual tranny more dificult than an engine rebuild?
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Wow that's high. That sounds more like a quote for a complete rebuild.

I have used this place before for a T5. http://www.southerngearco.com/

FYI the synchro is about $20. I bet that the gear would have to be pressed off to get to it (5th) though. On a T5 you can get 1-3 off without a press but 4th gear has to be pressed off to get to that synchro.

BTW you can't really do anything to damage a synchro. The float around and are only used during shifting.

Also BTW I just replaced my clutch assembly and what I thought was a bad synchro for 3rd gear has gone away. I don't think the clutch was releasing all the way. All the rest of the gears were fine.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      Wow that's high. That sounds more like a quote for a complete rebuild.

I have used this place before for a T5. http://www.southerngearco.com/

FYI the synchro is about $20. I bet that the gear would have to be pressed off to get to it (5th) though. On a T5 you can get 1-3 off without a press but 4th gear has to be pressed off to get to that synchro.

BTW you can't really do anything to damage a synchro. The float around and are only used during shifting.

Also BTW I just replaced my clutch assembly and what I thought was a bad synchro for 3rd gear has gone away. I don't think the clutch was releasing all the way. All the rest of the gears were fine.
      Thanks for the information and suggestions. I can shift from a lower gear to fifth, I just can't down shift into fifth. As time goes on, getting it into fifth gear is beoming harder. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
      1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 TA
        Thanks for the information and suggestions. I can shift from a lower gear to fifth, I just can't down shift into fifth. As time goes on, getting it into fifth gear is beoming harder. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
        The Only thing I have thats Kinda the same Is putting in Reverse that Im sure alot of you guys remember. Just been Trying to Deal with it. Sometimes it goes in okay if I go ahead and shift it into 2nd first then Reverse.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If you'd like to see how difficult it is to disassemble the T56, and the special tools required, take a look at the T56 repair manual. Shoebox has it on his website:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#t56
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X