blown head gaskets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown head gaskets

well the 96 t/a automatic blew the head gaskets a few weeks ago. I could have just slapped the headgaskets on and go but my mechanic suggested a rebuild since it already has 195,000 miles on it.

However, I am confused at what he is and is not going to replace. basically the motor will be dipped line bored and honed, (600.00) for a rebuild kit so I am assuming this comes with new pistons but I know it does not come with a cam or lifters. I am having the heads rebuilt as well. and i fthe crank is scratched, they will charge extra to clean it up.

on a 200,000 motor he seems to feel that the cam and lifters would still be fine and he already pulled the heads and said that the motor looked to be in great condition with no real sign of a lip in the cylinders.

What would you guys recommend I do. Also, do most engine rebuild shops offer warranties other than the manufactures waranty on their parts? He is only giving me 90 days parts and labor and whatever the waranties are given for the parts themselves. his quote is about 3,000.00 with removal and install included.

If you guys suggest a cam be done, what have you guys used. The motor will be going back to stock so please keep that in mind.

IMHO, there is no way I would take an engine apart, dip it and do a rebuild and not replace the cam and lifters. If there is no ridge on the cylinders and no apparent problems anywhere else, I would just put on headgaskets. I might do a timing chain, new valve springs and valve seals but that's about it. These engines can run for 250K and much more with proper oil changes. Heck, a friend of mine has an LT-1 with 300K miles and it's never been opened up. It still runs strong and is just starting to get a little blue smoke on startup (valve guides). I wouldn't do a partial rebuild. If I were going to tear it apart, everything would be redone. That would include a new cam and bearings, lifters, timing set, crank and bearings, pistons, rings, oil pump and the list goes on and on.

One possible senerio would be to put on headgaskets and have the heads rebuilt. At least the heads would carry over at some point in the future should the shortblock need attention.

You are in a situation that I would hate to be in. Someone else pulls your motor apart and then tells you it's going top be $3000 and only a 90 day warranty on labor. That makes me cringe every time I hear it. Especially since they aren't replacing everything.

Comment

Wouldnt it be cheaper just to buy another LT1

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I blew a head gassket about 41/2 months ago. I just saw it as a good chance to do alot of upgrading. If I were you I would go all out and do it right. No short cuts. And do as much as you can afford now, wait awhile if you can don't rush it. If you do a cam you might as well upgrade while you're there. Maybe even tweek the heads some. Maybe port and polish, valve springs for the cam etc. just my $.02.
        '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
        '00 T/A Silver
        '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

If you're in it for the long haul (keeping it for a while), do it right. Heve them do a rebuild and do the upgrades. That way there's no worries and you can think about other goodies like Nitrous since you'll be all new on the inside . . . My crank split in half last year and I had them swap out the long block and do a mild cam. I just love 300+ horsepower with no payment.
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

head gaskets

I thought the same way, I never told him to pull it apart, I asked him for a quote on the costs, but he misunderstood or worse. I think he is an honest guy, afterall his shop is in his backyard so I know where he lives. I do agree that a complete rebuild would be best and as for mods, that would be great but the costs for the mods would be pretty costly over the 3000.00 bill. (that I am already struggling to find as it is.)

I'll call him tomorrow to see what all I am going to get with this "rebuild" then try to price some goodies. I think headers and a cam a little better than stock. maybe a port and polish on the heads. Nothing too much as I plan on giving this car to my son for his 16th birthday and do not want it too fast for him (probably already is at stock specs.)

the car is a convertible and is showing a value of around 8500.00 so the repair is a little better than borderline but I still hate to spend 3,000 on anything let alone a new motor in this type of circumstances.

Thanks for the advice and the information. it is appreciated.

Comment

do as joe said, do a top end over haul, a CC-306 cam i guess is a good one, nice headers, and a tune, should get u near or over the 300 mark and been a good driver. also u could sell ur old LT1 cam, as many third gens use them.
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
              X