89 GTA excess vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 GTA excess vibration

I just recently got a 89 Gta 5.7/700r4 that had the engine rebuilt 20,000 ago, and a rear end rebuild about the same time with 3.73 gears in the rear which I havent found out yet if they were added or original replacement I just know because I have the reciept for the rear end rebuild. As far as I know the tranny has never been rebuilt. I have an excess vibration at certain engine rpms, it starts around 2000 then goes away and starts again at 3500-4000. This is noticeable while driving as well. I have two ideas as to what it may be either dampner on front of crank or the flex plate might be out of balance or cracked. If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.

Another possibility is a poorly balanced driveshaft...

Just another thing to add to your list

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Try switching to the aluminum one...

I am not sure, but I think that the Aluminum ones out of a 4th gen may fit your third gen. Check it out.... however I may be wrong.
      No F-Body right now

Comment

how bad is the vibration at the higher RPMS? check to see if u have a poly transmission mount.

Comment

89 GTA excess vibration

To be more specific the vibration is most likely from the transmission forward, because it is RPM related. Example if im going down the highway and kick it into neutral the vibration will go away, however if I have have it in park and rev it, the vibrations increase with rpm.

Comment

does the vibration seem to be worse at the center console? like near the shifter?

Comment

Working...
            X