tire question for the tire guru-NFB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire question for the tire guru-NFB

I bought a truck. Its a 89 Chevy K5 Blazer Silverado. It has MIckey Thompson Baja Claws. I love them. Im not complaining about the noise, i just want to understand why they make the howl they do. Can you tell me?
    -ken-
    ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

I'm not a guru but I have heard that manufacturers vary the size of the tread block to get them to make less noise. Another words if the blocks are all the same size, it will make more noise. I know a guy who ran BF Goodrich radial all terrains for years and recently switched to another type because of the noise.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I used to own a 90 full size Bronco that had 38" Super Swamper TSLs on it. You want to talk about loud tires jeez. On the highway it could actually hurt your ears slightly with the windows down if you were not used to it. I know it has to do with the tread pattern but I'm not sure exactly what makes them louder than other tires. I think it has something to do with the size of the actual pieces of tread that contact the road. On my swampers the tread block surface areas were huge and there were relatively few of them compared to a normal street or A/T tire where the tread is broken up into lots of smaller tread blocks. That's my thoughts on the subject. Not sure if I'm right or not though. Maybe someone else knows more. Hmmmmm????

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Working...
      X