No announcement yet.

Car is in for service, advice needed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car is in for service, advice needed...

So, I have been driving ith my SES light on for close to two years now. I know, dumb, but I knew pretty much what it was and that I couldn't afford the fix. Now I have to have it inspected by well...today, and so it has to get fixed. The cause of the light is the fuel evap cannister and an O2 sensor that need to be replaced. The dealership quoted me at $678 to do that. They also said that it needs a new serpentine belt, a new fuel filter, the throttle body needs to be cleaned because it has "alot of syrupy build up in it," the spark plugs (which I changed last year, using iridium tipped plugs) aren't stock, so they should be changed...not too sure what the heck that means, the plug wires are getting worn and need changing, and I forget what else.
    Ok, so I have let the maintenance on that thing slip, but they were wanting $1450 to do all of that. I honestly don't think I need to replace the plugs that I just replaced a year ago just because they aren't OEM, unless you guys can tell me differently??? The wires, I know I can do myself for less than the $255 they quoted me on that. The throttle body....I could easily do that, right? Could someone who is familiar with that explain to me how do go about it? They wanted $89 to do it.
    I went ahead and tol them to do the fuel filter, the belt, and to change that cannister and the O2 sensor. Am I getting raped at $850 for this? I checked around at a few places that weren't dealerships, and got pretty much the same quote. I really wish that I would have just gotten it replaced when it first went wrong. I can't afford the $850, it is almost all going on my credit card. I definitely can't afford to have them do the other stuff.
    Can someone please let me know about the plugs, and the throttle body?? Any help would be great. The poor car also needs a brake job and a new set of tires. I need to win the lottery.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

If they want to want to replace the plugs just because they arent stock, then I would say no. If they are fouled out from the engine not running right for so long, then yes. They should be replaced. As far as the other stuff. Nothing you listed is hard to do yourself. Do your own work and save the $$$. You said that the tires & brakes are bad? You dont expect the car to pass inspection with bad tires & brakes do you? I hope not. Tires & brakes are probably the most important things on your car. Dont put those off too long or you will regret it.

If you are uncomfortable doing the repairs yourself, you could always take it to an independent shop. I am sure they will charge you much less to do the work.

Good luck.
    No F-Body right now

Comment

Todd, if you had a full day, you could have done all of that work yourself. None of those tasks are hard...I mean, if you can do the plugs, you can do all that you stated. I think the price they were asking for is steep, but if you gotta get done, you get it done.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Get your car back from the dealer and do most of it yourself and then see what happens... It sounds like a bunch of low level easy stuff.
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

i've done everything on that list for a v6, expect the canister. Those tasks are insanly easy..... and i am an idiot. Get your car back, and do everything yourself.
          1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

How would I go about cleaning the throttle body? Do I just take the whisper lid off to access the intake and clean in there with....WD-40 or carburetor cleaner? I assume that is where he meant because he said that there is a butterfly valve just inside it. And do you guys think I should change the plugs again??

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

what do the plugs look like... if you go and buy a haynes manual there are color pictues towards the back that show what various bad plugs look like. If they look fouled and what not change them, if the dealership said they should be changed because they are "stock" then leave them alone. As for your dirty throttle body here is what you do.

1.GO out and buy a throttle body gasket, and intake cleaner.
              2. Remove all intake plumbing/ Disconnect all sensors. (IAT, MAF.etc)
              3. Remove throttle body from the intake manifold, Via. three bolts.
              4. Put the MAF sensor in a plastic bag, preferably a non static one, like what they put computer parts in.
              5. Take a scrapper and get all the old gasket pieces off the intake mainfold and throttle body, be sure not to damage either. Be sure no dirty and gaskets get in you intake. With paper towels, a toothbrush, and some q-tips clean all the gunk out of everything you have access to.
              6. Put everything back together again, im not sure the torque specs on the throttle body, i just turned it a whole rotation after hand tight. However this was about 2 years ago, so i cant remember very clearly, so just use good judgement.

Its a real easy job.... however this is the best i can remember. If you have any questions just shoot me over a PM.
              Also always use good gaskets.
              1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Working...
              X