gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas

just curious what are u guys averaging with gas miliage this is my dayly driver and it seams like its getting 12miles a gallon driving responsibley could the guy have messed something up with the hypertech power progamer and i guess i have to take premium is that true
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

I get between 19 and 22 mpg, and that is mixed between "nice" driving, and the occasional "let's see how fast I can get to 70" spurt going onto the highway. You say "seems like 12 mpg".... have you kept tracked of your mileage?

If you've got an LT1, you are recommended to use at least 91-octane gas, although I don't think lower octane, or regular gas would hurt. The timing will just get retarded, and you'll lose *some* power. I believe this is true on the LS1 as well, but I can't be for sure.
    '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

right now ive went 160miles i have a quarter of a tank left and put in 14.9gallons and thats the best ive done yet
      2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

Next time you fill up the tank reset your trip odometer. When you fill it up again just divide the mileage by the gallons and you get mpg. If you really are getting 12mpg out of your car, WOW. I know of some trucks that get better mileage. Remember that the biggest thing that affects mpg is how fast you accelerate. Your car eats up more gas during acceleration than any other time. (Especially if you like to feel the torque of your car from every stoplight like me.) Accelerate slower & you will see a great improvement in your economy.

I got my daily driver from 18mpg to 23 mpg just by changing the way I accelerate.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

ill get 9mpg if im hammering on it in my TBI bird. but when im chillin on the highway ill get 25mpg easily, which upsets my dad cuz his tbird has the 3.8 and he gets a shade over 24mpg on the highway and my car runs rich!
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I used to go Up to San Luis Obispo, and I would get there with over a quarter tank left (235 miles). Im well over 20+mpg and thats going about 80+ pretty much all the way, and a couple 120+mph runs (Cant resist coastal straight aways, Its beautiful). So if your talking about under 15mpg then there is someting wrong. Then again, as someone on this board once told me and is very true, It takes more Fuel to provide more power. Your car does have a lot of modifications. That could be the reason why.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I've been calculating my milage for the past month or so. Depending on how I drive, I get 14.5 to 15.5mpg in the city. Never any higher no matter how easy I take it. On a higway trip last night that averaged 70-80mph, I got 20.4mpg. This is using 91 octane. My milage doesn't seem to get any worse with lower octane fuel, but I do notice a slight decrease in power as measured qualitatively by my spinning tires.
              1995 Formula - Bone Stock, A/T

Comment

I run 87 Octane 100% of the time.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

it does real good till i get to half a tank, then it gets like 5-10mpg no joke i used a quatertank going 12 miles once driving semifast though

Comment

our gas tanks are od shapped, its typical.
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Typically, you will get 3/4 of your milage out out first 1/2 of thank. Our tanks are much bigger on the top than the bottom.
                      No F-Body right now

Comment

How many miles are on the car? If you recently bought it, you don't know what the previous owner did to it in regards to maitanance. It could be time for a tuneup. The throttle body will collect gunk and carbon deposits that should be cleaned out every once and awhile. You may see a jump in mpg if you do that. There's the sparkplugs, air filter, MAF, sensors, fuel injectors. If any of these are dirty, it could reduce mpg.

Check your air filter and sparkplugs, clean our the throttle body and run a can or two of fuel system treatment through the gas. See what happens then.
                        Dave M
                        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

11 mpg city, 23+ highway. It has decreased with every mod, mostly by the 9" rear install.
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

You've already posted elsewhere that your car is running poorly. Misfires can be a major cause of poor fuel mileage, causing the car to run excessively rich. The unburned air/fuel from the misfire hits the O2 sensor, and the O2 sensor sees excess air, assumes its running lean, and starts to add extra fuel the engine doesn't need.

When my car was new in 1994/95, I drove a round trip from my home in Valencia, CA to maybe 60 miles north of San Luis Obispo, and averaged better than 30 MPG for the round trip, and that includes driving at 80+ MPH on most of the freeway portions. The M6 in 6th gear is a real gas miser.

Even after the car had a lot of bolt-on modifications, it would still run 20-25MPG with any highway driving, and 18-20MPG with heavy, stop-n-go driving here in traffic clogged NJ. It still ran better than 20MPG on the highway with the 381ci/500HP stroker, 3.73 gears and the M6. And that was an open-loop tune, not even using the O2 sensors.

If you live anywhere near sea level, it is really a waste of good perfromance to feed your engine 87-octane fuel. Mileage may only suffer a bit, but the knock retard kills HP.... if you want good fuel mileage on regular-grade fuel, by another Honda.
                            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Averaging about 16.5 with 3.23s
                              95 Z28 - K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat-back, Edelbrock STB, UMI Perf SFC, Performabuilt Pro Street 4L60E, 2800 Stall, Hayden tranny cooler, CRT Intake elbow, LS1 DS, 2k C5 replicas, Toyo Proxes T1S 255/40/17(f) 285/40/18(r), slotted rotors w/ Axxis MM pads, 15% front/5% rear tint, 97+ Console upgrade, all oils now synthetic

Bought and to install: UMI Adj LCA, Adj Panhard, LCA relocation brackets, 96 SS Spoiler....Broken and to be fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X