Tires..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires..

Does anyone know of any kindof 15 inch rim i can fit onto my car, and what exactly rear spacing means, DOes it just mean how much the tire sticks over on the back side? because i bought a 15'x8 rim with 4.5 rear spacing and it hits the calipers, if i get a 15 x8 wuth a 5.5 rear spacing.. will that help at all or no?
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

I think about your thinking about the offset of the wheel. Its the measurement of how much of the rim is sticking past the center of the rim. Hmm. Fred Can explain it alot better than me.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Offset is how far from the centerline of the wheel the lug nut surface is
      Backspacing is the dimension from the lug nut surface to the back of the rim.

When you say that the rim is hitting the calipers... Where is it hitting? Since you have a 2000 car, you have 12" brakes at all 4 corners. I think it may be hard to get 15" rims to fit right no matter what backspacing you get.
      No F-Body right now

Comment

There are 15" drag wheels that will fit. For the rear, you need 15x10" with a 7.5" backspace, or 15x8" with a 5.5" backspace. Any less backspace, and the wheel/tire will be outside the fender line. In general, its NOT the backspace that is causing the wheel to hit the calipers.... its the design of the center disc of the wheel.

For the Weld Pro-Stars and Draglites, the inner knuckle of the center disc will hit the brake caliper fins on the rear LT1 brakes, and probably similar on the rear LS1 brake. The cure is to grind the fins off the caliper on the LT1. I suspect there is a similar requirement on an LS1.

Bogart will make you a 15x9.5" wide wheel that fits perfectly, without spacers or grinding anything, on all years of the 4th Gen. But now you are talking about wheels that are $350 each, and not good for street use - only track use.

Centerline makes the Telstar in a 15x8" 5.5" backspace specifically for the 4th Gens, and I understand that there is no interference of any kind. The Telstar isn't as light weight as the Pro-Star or Draglites. I've also seen the Centerline AutoDrag mounted on LS1 4th Gens with no problems.

In the front, some 15" wheels like the Pro-Stars will hit the spring clip on the brake pads, or the horizontal portion of the steering knuckle. For the front, the solution is typically to use a 5/16" spacer. You will need longer wheel studs.

I have a writeup on the Welds and the Bogarts on the "Wheels and Tires" forum, FAQ stickied at the top of the forum page, and CamaroZ28.com, with photos of the mods.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I looked at my breaks, and the "fins" that your talking about face inward, as in, there not on the outside which that little lip on the dragstars hit.
          [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.

Comment

Its not fins on top of the caliper that hit, its the fins that wrap around to the side of the caliper, right on the corner. This is what mine looked like after I ground off the ones that interfered:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

yhea mine dont look like that. Ill send a pic.

Comment

Working...
              X