AC sensor question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC sensor question

One of my work colleagues has an 02 WS6 M6. He is having trouble with his AC freezing up. As long as the blower is on high or max it is fine. If he puts it on low or med it will freeze up. He took it to his machanic and they told him there is a sensor that needs to be replaced (easy quick fix) but the mechanic couldn't find the part number (and was really busy that weekend so couldn't work on the car right away anyway).

Does this sould familiar to anyone? Does anyone know the name and/or part # for the sensor and where it is located?

Thanks.
    Scott
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

does it just stop the motor? cuz it sounds like the resistor pack for the blower motor
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I asked him again to describe the problem and he said on low or med, after about 10-15 minutes the amount of air coming out of the vents will decrease significantly. If he turns the blower off for 5 min it will fix itself or if he increases the temperature it will fix itself as well.

Now, that does sound like the blower motor/resistor is going bad.
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

it still could be very highly unlikely. when a resistor pack goes, it completely goes leaving only max. try to ask the dealer what sensor it was or where it was located.
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Anyone know where that is located? Is this a set of coils (like the old style one in my '79) or is this a solid state or relay sort of device?
          My DD
          2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

My 2000 Camaro has the same problem. If left on low too long, the air from the vents almost comes to a stop, however, i can still hear the blower going. You can then switch it to high, and the blower will speed up but the air from the vents stay the same. I didn't know there was a sensor for it. One guy told me it was common on a V6 since the compressor never cycles on the 3800 series. Would appreciate a fix if one exists out there. Thanks!
            1988 5.0 TBI Camaro 700R4 Transmission
            2000 3.8 SFI Camaro 4L60E Transmission, K&N Air Filter, and Drill/Slotted Rotors all around.

Comment

Working...
            X