Finally Got A Spare Key

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Got A Spare Key

I posted this on V6 Fbody board, and thought Id also share my experience here as well.

Well after 10yrs of owning my car, and a recent lost keys scare... I finally decided to get off my behind and have a spare key made. On my lunch break I go in to the dealership parts dept and tell the guy I need a new one, he tells me its gonna be $36....I say go ahead. He sticks the key into a machine to read the resistor chip, cuts the key, I pay for it, go on back to the house to try it out. Of course with my luck, it didnt work...wouldnt even turn the cyclinder. This time, I go back with the car. I go in tell the guy it doesnt work, he cuts me a 2nd one...it too doesnt work. To make a long story short.....8 keys later, and after much confusion as well as a few cuss words from the parts guy, I finally got a key that worked. I wasnt mad about the hassle of the key not working, I thought it was kinda humorous actually. I know the dealer probably doesnt pay but a few cents for the key blanks, but for some reason took I joy in knowing that they lost out on making $288 on the screwed up keys they had to throw away. I kinda feel like I scored a victory for the little guy....lol
    LarryMow-93 V6 Firebird-No engine mods-Z06 Wheels, '98 Taillights,'98 Center Console-SLP fan switch-BMR STB, F/R Swaybars, PHB,LCA,Torque Arm, SFC, Bilsteins, Eibachs....www.cardomain.com/ride/2489691/1
Working...
X