Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering Problem

Hi there!

I´m Steve from Austria/Europe. My car is a 2000 Camaro 3,8l.
    I have a problem with my power steering. I try to explain in English....

The problem is that the steering fluid gets hot and the pump makes always a noise.

I have bought this car with this trouble so i don´t know how loud the pump normaly works and how warm the fluid should be.

What i tryed:
    The first pump was leaking.The Pre-Owner swaped it.
    The second pump died a short time ago.The reason could be that there was Dexron3 fluid was filled in.
    So I built in the third pump,flushed the system,used Liqui Moly steering fluid and the oil gets still hot after a long ride and the steering is a little tight.
    Last week i got a used Steering Rack from the US. i built it in bleed the system used Original Gm Fluid and........

The oil still gets hot,the pump makes still a noise, only the tightness is a little better.

I´m a Mechanic but can´t find a Solution.Even some GM Dealers all over Europe do not know an answer.

Maybe someone of you can help me!

Vielen Dank und liebe Grüsse aus Österreich!!

Thanks a lot!!

Possible solution

Steve,

I have two 1993 Z-28's that had the same problem when we autocrossed. The fluid would get very hot, foam and the whining that you hear is the pump cavitating. I changed the fluid to Mobile synthetic power steering fluid and the noise went away.

We autocrossed in Texas at over 100 degrees F and never had a problem.

It could be that just changing the powersteering fluid to a synthetic will quiet the system down and help the pump last longer.

Hope this helps.

Tom 93A4, 93M6 and 69 all Z's

Comment

Hi.

Thanks for your answer.
      I will try the synthetic fluid. Can you tell me the exact name of it?

Thanks

Lg Steve

Comment

Working...
      X