went to pull tranny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• went to pull tranny

i went to pull my 4l60e tranny on my 93 lt1 trans am today can anyone tell me how to take the torque arm off. do i take the whole thing out also should i have jackstands under the diff when doing this or under the rockers?and how much will the tranny drop down when you remove the torque arm and the crossmember because i could only see three bellhousing bolts any help would be useful thanks.
    93 trans am lt1 soon to be a 406 gen 1 sbc all bolt ons zr1 wheels dr in back built 700 r4.

The Rockers? Yes there should be a bolt that is holding the front side of the torque arm to the Tranny. You should have some jackstands up front and some on the diff. to give you the most possible room to work in (assuming your doing this on the ground).
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

is it safe to unbolt the torque arm with stands under the diff?
      93 trans am lt1 soon to be a 406 gen 1 sbc all bolt ons zr1 wheels dr in back built 700 r4.

Comment

You would be better off with the jackstands under the rear subframes (do NOT support anything from the rocker panels, they will bend), and a floor jack holding the bottom of the differential. You will need to unbolt the torque arm at the rear, since unbolting the front support bracket from the side of the tranny will still leave the front end of the TA right behind the tranny, and make it difficult to get clearance to pull the tranny straight back. You can force the TA to the drivers side of the tunnel with it still bolted to the rear, but then you have to find a way to hold it there.

When you remove the front bracket, the TA can still be controlled by holding the front end. With the entire weight of the car on the rear axle, the axle will want to rotate, and the TA will be difficult to control. With the weight of the car on the subframes, the floor jack under the rear differential housing allows you hold the rear axle steady while you remove the rear bolts that hold the TA. You can control the rotation of the axle assembly by raising or lowering the floor jack. It may also be necessary to drop the axle assembly a bit to get the long bolts out of the top of the TA.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X